GEN 2 2018 Raptor - Odd Crank/No Start Problem - Video Included

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
do your door handle sensors to unlock work, if so equipped? Another bit of info I think contributes to the charging system theory is that your chimes are through the dash speaker, it will do this when the truck is charging.

With the code, you stand a better chance of a successful stealerhsip visit. Good luck.

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have not had the door unlock sensors not work before.

Thank you!

I am having the passenger door sensor not lock and unlock.. i've already replaced the remote batts as well.
also, if someone can point me to the correct forum for losing one of our tones on the horn? appreciate it. So Cal, we apparently need the horn waaay more often.

I will also come back for the result of this one.. truck doesn't have a tune by chance, does it?

OP
OP
J
Reaction score
Took it to dealership today, battery tested "bad" according to the tech and they gave me a new one under warranty.

New problem is no matter how tight I make the negative connector it is loose and freely spins. My kind dealership offered to graciously replace it for $105 out the door. I took the great deal and had them swap it out for me.

- Just kidding, I will do the cable myself for that rate lol. I'll report back if the problem comes back, but so far today it has not occured.

OP
OP
J
Reaction score
Got it home, looked at the terminal, it was simply not pushed down all the way and tightened....

Negative lead is on there as snug as can be. Love my local dealership for trying to sell me a new cable that I didn't need.

rightway

Reaction score
Only take the time to read this post if you’re interested in how I came to my conclusions, about one post before the actual solution was posted. I suggest this with all humility, a few may find this helpful, enhancing or notice different trouble clearing ways.

I just started reading this posts today. This may sound like a 20-20 hind sight thing but it's really not. This is what I was learning and thinking as I read the posts in progression, post #1 toward the fix. Very nice video particularly the audio. On the failure to start times, I detected what seemed like a shorter cranking time than slightly longer cranking during a successful start time. Now thinking for a reason, the starter is dropping off early.

Then the P068a DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) information was posted. I looked up the P068a code. The site I happened upon talked about what happens, if the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) detected low voltage from a relay in the starting process. The PCM monitor’s that relay, if and when a low voltage is detected, it shuts down the starting process. Now we know why it ended before it started.

Now I am thinking, (did you see the smoke?) some of the members who are suggesting low voltage as they posted battery related suggestions but the battery had been posted as being good. ?? With all those thoughts in mind, I now see the post, the passenger door only, no longer unlocks or locks from the outside door handle, in response to a posted question. That locking comment, also tells me your battery voltage was low and it all clicks together. Time to go back and re-check the battery first and then if necessary start looking for the relay with low voltage feeding back to the PCM.

Too bad you can't watch the battery voltage in the instrument cluster as its cranking. I had also noted the video the Instrument Cluster Panel was going dark as the engine was cranked, I don't remember my F-150 doing that. If it doesn't normally do that, that certainly an indication of a drop in voltage (battery) or a bit of corrosion at the battery terminal. Now I know for certain, the battery voltage must be dropping off during the starting process. If we had a volt meter we would see the battery voltage low all the time. Why do I have those thoughts? My truck’s, parasitic currents discharge the battery, bringing its voltage down, after days of sitting, the first thing I see happen, the passenger door's outside door handle lock cease to function, (lock or un-lock). The driver side always works. I posted on another forum commenting about my Passenger door lock and battery findings and two other members, posted their trucks do the exact same thing. Long story short I put a battery charger on it, bringing the battery back to full charge, voltage back up. All cleared and the truck never move out of the driveway.