2018 Raptor - New To Me - Rattling Startup?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is false.
Ahhh no it’s not, cam phasers started rattling on my 2018 & this would prevent the sound from happening every time.

You’re false- why bother replying to something negatively when it’s patently incorrect?

Cranking the ignition longer will prevent the sound, period, end of story.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ahhh no it’s not, cam phasers started rattling on my 2018 & this would prevent the sound from happening every time.

You’re false- why bother replying to something negatively when it’s patently incorrect?

Cranking the ignition longer will prevent the sound, period, end of story.
Okay but on mine, if it is going to rattle it will rattle while doing exactly what you say will prevent it from rattling. So again, you are incorrect. As a matter of fact, I used to 'prime' by holding the gas pedal down for 5-6 secs to try to prevent the phasers from rattling - sometimes they would rattle the entire time during priming, which sounded worse than just letting them rattle for 1-2 secs on normal startup so I don't do that anymore.

Last edited:

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cam phasers are distinct from the wastegate rattle everyone experiences. More than likely if it sounds like metal peas in a can then it is the waste gate rattling if it sounds like a hockey puck in a the same can then it is the phasers. Two different things.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Okay but on mine, if it is going to rattle it will rattle while doing exactly what you say will prevent it from rattling. So again, you are incorrect. As a matter of fact, I used to 'prime' by holding the gas pedal down for 5-6 secs to try to prevent the phasers from rattling - sometimes they would rattle the entire time during priming, which sounded worse than just letting them rattle for 1-2 secs on normal startup so I don't do that anymore.
Did you hold the ignition in the crank position a lil longer? My guess is…no. This isn’t my “opinion” guy, it’s something I learned when researching the issue as it appeared on my 2018, & was told about this “trick” by a friend who had a 2017 that did the same. Lo & behold it works, & if you bothered to search around on this forum or F150 forum you’d find many other owners who also found this to be true.

Whether it’d delay/prevent future degradation I have no clue, what I’m sure it does do is get the oiling going & take the slop outta the cam chain tensioner hence why it stops the noise

It’s not my opinion it’s not a guess it’s not hyperbole, it’s a somewhat well known phenomenon

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did you hold the ignition in the crank position a lil longer? My guess is…no. This isn’t my “opinion” guy, it’s something I learned when researching the issue as it appeared on my 2018, & was told about this “trick” by a friend who had a 2017 that did the same. Lo & behold it works, & if you bothered to search around on this forum or F150 forum you’d find many other owners who also found this to be true.

Whether it’d delay/prevent future degradation I have no clue, what I’m sure it does do is get the oiling going & take the slop outta the cam chain tensioner hence why it stops the noise

It’s not my opinion it’s not a guess it’s not hyperbole, it’s a somewhat well known phenomenon

This technique builds the oil pressure before starting it does help on cold starts.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does not work on mine, i get phaser rattle while holding the gas pedal down and holding the ignition so it just cranks.
And it could be that once it gets worn to a certain point that no longer works, but could also be that this technique helps slow down/alleviate some of the issue by getting oil flowing before the engine is fully started?

Glad I don’t (shouldn’t?) have to worry bout it on my 2020, but I have yet to hear of someone having a catastrophic failure from this &/or getting stranded some place either

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s weird because i’ve had the issue since 11k mikes or so approx spring of 2019. It still doesn’t rattle every cold startup. I’m weary to have the fix done as like you said it doesn’t affect drivability at all.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
The trick worked on mine, til it didn't. Granted I only tried it a few times because I would forget. lol. Anyway, I lived with it for 30k miles before it finally threw a code. That is to say that it would keep it from rattling on startup, then toward the end it did not help. I never noticed and rattling when cranking before the engine fired though.

Who knows if I had done the gas pedal trick the whole 30k if it would have helped.

OP
OP
haberman13

haberman13

Reaction score
Well a week later, honestly, the rattle is much more muted than I originally thought.

Perhaps its just the turbos after all.

Man... what a truck this is!