2018 Raptor - New To Me - Rattling Startup?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ODub18

Reaction score
@haberman13 Going through this right now...

I just bought a 2018 two weeks ago from a Ford Dealer that turned out to have both rattles.

1. Cold start cam phasers rattle - shorter in duration but much louder clanking noise - 30 seconds or less for my truck
2. Cold start wastegate rattle - longer in duration but sounds more like a loose washer - up to a full minute of rattling for my truck

I noticed the morning after the purchase I had the cold start cam phaser rattle. The Ford Dealer did give me a 30 day warranty. However this repair/fix was partially covered under the Ford Customer Satisfaction Program #21N03 CAM PHASERS. (Ford may cover the repair or refund costs depending on where you are with mileage) My Ford dealer covered the remainder of the cost under the 30 day Warranty. I'd check with a local Ford dealer if your truck is eligible for the fix.

See here for the program details and eligibility: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10204046-0001.pdf

This updated my cam phaser parts from the old MLZ3 parts to the new HL3Z. The updated cam phasers are a new design and are supposed to fix the cam phaser once and for all. Hopefully that's true.

The morning after the cam phasers fix is when I noticed the cold start wastegate rattle. I read about the fix for this on this forum:

Actual bulletin posted by @frenchbritt

The bulletin indicates it's a cheap part needing 1.9 hour of labor to replace. I also found a Youtube video that showed how you can realign the actuator parts and tighten the loose screws to fix the rattle. (sorry don't have a link to that video) Looking to get this addressed next week.

Anyway, I hope this helps. :)