2018 Raptor - New To Me - Rattling Startup?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

haberman13

Reaction score
Hey all,

Finally found one to buy, and she's beautiful! Thing is when its a cold start I hear a rattling sound from the front end.

After some searching, it sounds like "cam phasers", and I also signed an "as-is" with the dealer I bought it from.

How hosed am I?

20230109_170355-01.jpeg

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF.

Did you get an extended warranty? Think the repair is around $3500. If you didn't get one, I'd look for one before the repair.

You can drive with the noise, some have for years. You will get mixed reviews on the topic of cam phasers.

OP
OP
haberman13

haberman13

Reaction score
Welcome to FRF.

Did you get an extended warranty? Think the repair is around $3500. If you didn't get one, I'd look for one before the repair.

You can drive with the noise, some have for years. You will get mixed reviews on the topic of cam phasers.

I didn't, last 2 warranties I bought went unused. Maybe the dealer will sell the Ford warranty to me after purchase.

Better than just paying for the fix I suppose. Thanks for the reply!

OP
OP
haberman13

haberman13

Reaction score
Funny enough I almost bought one from Flood. I'll give them a call.

After reading some posts on here, I'm a little less worried, sounds like it won't kill the engine. And on mine at least, it goes away almost immediately.

I'll see what another local dealer says about it.