2018 Raptor Engine Upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joeeyyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just purchased a 2018 Raptor SCREW. I'm pretty excited, but it is my nature to want a little more than stock. So, I have been looking at basic engine upgrades to add some extra power. The following is what I have been looking at, but I really do not have a clue..any feedback, suggestions, and recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Screenshot_20201114-085130_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20201114-085056_Samsung Internet.jpg

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good choices.

throw in an intercooler and consider a real tune by JDM, MPT, Geaheard. (Goose gets good reviews but no personal experience.)

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I skipped the can but did the Cobb 1+. The intake isn’t necessary and neither is a catch can tbh. Just the AP will do as much and save you bucks.

OP
OP
J

Joeeyyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do any of these upgrades require using premium gas? In local gas stations nearby offer 87, 89, and 91 octane.

OP
OP
J

Joeeyyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, should I wait until my factory powertrain warranty is over before installing engine upgrades? Has anyone experienced dealership issues, warranty service, etc. Due to aftermarket engine modifications

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you’re not running 93 Top Tier Rated Fuel, you should be. Absolutely makes a difference in terms of power and fuel efficiency. If you’ve be running 87, it will take a few fill ups to notice a difference.

If you’re still under powertrain warranty, I wouldn’t recommend modding too much as there’s the possibility of your claim being denied due to an issue possibly being caused by an aftermarket part. A tune will void your warranty completely.

The catch cans are a point of contention on this board. I believe in them, but there will be someone along shortly to fight me.

As for the intercooler, it all depends on where you live.

OP
OP
J

Joeeyyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate all the feedback. Also, I just joined this forum last week, and have not been banned. I have only asked a few questions, which was regarding purchasing a raptor, and this one.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Also, should I wait until my factory powertrain warranty is over before installing engine upgrades? Has anyone experienced dealership issues, warranty service, etc. Due to aftermarket engine modifications

You’ll be waiting for no good reason IMHO - when it comes to warranty id avoid the obvious “red flag” mods- a huge FMIC that requires cutting up the grill shutters, a dual catch can that requires drilling intake etc (single like JLT less so), an intake that does nothing for power but can throw codes & draw a service mgrs eye, a 160 T-stat that won’t seat properly etc. not really worth it

a tune is by far the biggest bang for buck & most significant performance mod. Go w/o a mounted Ngauge & more stealth, return to stock if an issue arises - yah they could check ignition cycling but more than likely they wouldn’t

If I were upgrading the IC I’d go w- a stock mount location one that won’t mess up the grill shutters or be so damn obvious (or potentially hurt the engine rads cooling ability) - CVF/mishimoto/Wagner/whipple all make good ones

I have a gearhead tune & nice thing about it is there’s an auto-octane adjust feature so if you get stuck w/ no option but 87/89 octane or have some bad gas don’t need to be concerned about knock or doing damage. I don’t think anyone else offers that, but could be wrong. They’re also known to be on the more conservative side for tunes (longevity/reliability) & are very well known for their transmission tuning especially in the diesel world which is worth noting when you consider the Raptor has a TEN speed lol

Chris retired grunt

Reaction score
If you’re not running 93 Top Tier Rated Fuel, you should be. Absolutely makes a difference in terms of power and fuel efficiency. If you’ve be running 87, it will take a few fill ups to notice a difference.

If you’re still under powertrain warranty, I wouldn’t recommend modding too much as there’s the possibility of your claim being denied due to an issue possibly being caused by an aftermarket part. A tune will void your warranty completely.

The catch cans are a point of contention on this board. I believe in them, but there will be someone along shortly to fight me.

As for the intercooler, it all depends on where you live.
I agree with this I have been using COSCO premium and can really tell the difference in performance.