2018 Knocking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
d.p

d.p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My driveway is on a decline and that is when I noticed it. And the only time I’ve heard it in the week and 200 miles of owning it.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My driveway is on a decline and that is when I noticed it. And the only time I’ve heard it in the week and 200 miles of owning it.
Will see what fordtechone says but based on this I’m wondering if it’s lack of oiling from the incline and not a low oil condition. I’m just a laymen though. Smart but not a tech

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird thing about yours is you phasers were done. Mine has not made the noise since the phasers were replaced.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@FordTechOne i was just thinking. When I would get the knock at idle which wasn’t as common as the cold start rattle when it started happening , it was generally at a bit of an incline sideways. For instance, backing my boat into my driveway and one side of the truck had to go up a bit on a neighbors driveway that has a 1 ft or so rise then I’d get a little knock. If I remember correctly would go away when truck was flat again. It’s been a couple years tho.
Sounds like a coincidence. The oil sump is deep within the pan; it would have to be very low on oil to expose the pickup and start drawing in air. At that point the entire engine would be starved of oil, which would result in lots of bad noises followed by bearing damage.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FordTechOne, I'm learning a lot. Thanks for the discussion here. What I'm a bit confused on is based ont he logic that the oil pickup is deep within the pan, how does being low a qt of oil affect the phasers as you stated in the post about shutter and running the engine low on oil causing scoring on the cam journals. Thats the part I cant follow.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FordTechOne, I'm learning a lot. Thanks for the discussion here. What I'm a bit confused on is based ont he logic that the oil pickup is deep within the pan, how does being low a qt of oil affect the phasers as you stated in the post about shutter and running the engine low on oil causing scoring on the cam journals. Thats the part I cant follow.
1 quart low is unlikely to cause the issue; the engine should be able to operate under normal conditions with the oil in the range between min and max. The issue tends to manifest when the engine oil is below the minimum (>1 qt) and oil demand is high, such as under hard acceleration. The oil pump is in high pressure mode, so it’s drawing a significant amount of oil out of the pan. If the oil level is low the sump can begin to draw air in, which results in pressure loss. That momentary loss of pressure causes the cams journals to wear. If the oil level is very low, the engine may enter limp mode with DTCs P0365 and P0369, which are for cam correlation. These set because the phasers aren’t getting enough oil to maintain their desired position, so the PCM loses control of the cam timing.

OP
OP
d.p

d.p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck is still at the dealer and I still don't know what they found or didn't find. Dealer told me yesterday truck was with the tech but didn't have an update and no word yet today either.

OP
OP
d.p

d.p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck still at the dealer, tech called on Wednesday and said he can hear the knocking up to 2k RPMs. Said he didn't know if I needed a new engine or what until he tore into it. I asked him when he would be able to do that and he said the truck was in his bay but was somewhat non-committal about it. Meaning if its in your bay and I am talking to you then you can tear into it after we get off the phone right? What is he going to do? Back it out and work on some other cars ahead of mine?

After that conversation I haven't heard shit and no response from my SA when I asked about it yesterday either. Selling dealer did call me today and I told them I was going to give it back if this problem wasn't solved soon and not even sure that matters because I am losing interest in the truck at this point. Tomorrow it will have been at the dealer the exact same length of time that I have owned it.