2018 Knocking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What is the likelihood that Ford is going to replace the heads? Cam job is $3500 what is the cost to replace the heads? Ford told me drivetrain warranty doesn’t cover cam phasers but you can see all the work done on this engine so I would assume good faith on their part to fix it once and for all.
Good faith doesn’t generally apply to used vehicles. If anything, the dealer you purchased it from should be stepping up to cover the cost of the repairs.

OP
OP
d.p

d.p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In most cases I would agree but with something as well documented as this I would expect some leeway. Who knows though and the dealer I brought it from said they will take care of it. I should know more on Monday.

Having the engine go through all the TSBs and still knock is the recommended fix heads? I mean I guess they won’t know until they look at it but more for my own curiosity.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
And to anyone reading this is that knock in my video indicative of low/inadequate oil to the cam phasers? And this typical after going through all of the TSBs?
It sounds like phaser knock. Try unplugging the VCT solenoid closest to the noise and see if it goes away. The solenoids are the vertical plugs near front of each valve cover on top. Phaser knock post-replacement is not typical nor related to the FSAs and TSBs; it’s either a bad replacement phaser or damaged cam journals.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your friends needs to check their oil level once in a while! You can’t measure oil pressure reaching the phasers; the issue is diagnosed by inspecting the cam journals for excessive wear/scoring. New phasers won’t fix that, they may help cover it up though if they have less bleed off than the phasers that were removed. In OPs case he has the new parts but still has a knock at idle, most likely the journals are scored.
What is considered low oil? 1/2 qt, 1 qt. 2 etc?

OP
OP
d.p

d.p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like phaser knock. Try unplugging the VCT solenoid closest to the noise and see if it goes away. The solenoids are the vertical plugs near front of each valve cover on top. Phaser knock post-replacement is not typical nor related to the FSAs and TSBs; it’s either a bad replacement phaser or damaged cam journals.

I can try that but will have to for it to knock again. It didn’t knock when I started it up not too long ago but that was just for a second to move it and it was cold.

I’ll try removing the solenoid and see if the noise goes away if I can get it to knock again.

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
back when the ’01-’04 Lightnings were infamously spitting out spark plugs, many of us would have the plugs changed by the stealership service department to avail ourselves of the 12/12 dealer warranty on workmanship.
It usually went like this.

1. Install underdrive pulley on the blower
2. Install Lightning Joe (?) what was his name... dry ice kit where the battery goes to circulate intercooler antifreeze thru
3. Find highest octane gas you can find and then still add octane additive
4. Take best friend for a midnight run
5. Argue the rest of the night why there is a nipple in the hood and this terrible hissing noise from the motor with a severe miss.
6. Next day make trip to Western Auto for best heli-coil kit known to man.

OP
OP
d.p

d.p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer called and said they’ll cover whatever the cost is if the power train warranty doesn’t cover it. Ford told me cam phasers aren’t covered under power train, can anyone confirm that?

At this point I will just wait and see what the dealer comes back with.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@FordTechOne i was just thinking. When I would get the knock at idle which wasn’t as common as the cold start rattle when it started happening , it was generally at a bit of an incline sideways. For instance, backing my boat into my driveway and one side of the truck had to go up a bit on a neighbors driveway that has a 1 ft or so rise then I’d get a little knock. If I remember correctly would go away when truck was flat again. It’s been a couple years tho.