2018 Knocking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

d.p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2018 with 40K on it, cam phasers were done (according to the carfax) in may of 2022. The truck sounded and ran fine the day I bought it (last Saturday), its still running fine but this morning I started to hear a definitive knock. The video below is after driving it for 20-30 minutes so not a cold start.

Is this sound indicative of cam phasers? This can't be normal so if not cam phasers then something worse I assume.

OP
OP
d.p

d.p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the maintenance records on the truck? Did it have recall 21B10 completed?

I don't know, but I don't see any mention nof 21B10 on the car fax. Can I call Ford and ask them for the history on this truck?

1674228599983.png

OP
OP
d.p

d.p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d call the dealer you bought it from and ask that they provide you with the Ford OASIS report.
I just emailed the Ford dealer that serviced it over its lifetime so will see what they come back with. However, reading that recall it does say "or as a knocking noise when the engine is idling after it is warmed" which sounds just like what I am experiencing. Is this typical of these trucks? IE cam phasers needing to be done every 10k?

OP
OP
d.p

d.p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It had the cam shaft replaced. Pretty major repair.

Alright so I called my local Ford and they told me on or around April/May the other dealer pulled the timing cover and saw that exhaust cams had failed and the chain tension had fallen apart so they replaced all that. According to them recall 21B10 hasn't been done and its too late now to get Ford to cover it. They are booked out until March so I can't even get it looked at until then but the dealer I bought it from is willing to cover any repairs but I just don't know if I can wait that long.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
If I’m reading this right, you have 40k on the truck, cams were replaced at 30k

if the cams are failed / failing, you seem to be covered by parts warranty. if the associated parts of the repair failed/failing, you may be covered; it’s been a while since I used this but back when the ’01-’04 Lightnings were infamously spitting out spark plugs, many of us would have the plugs changed by the stealership service department to avail ourselves of the 12/12 dealer warranty on workmanship. It worked for several forum users. I had the local shop swap my plugs 2x before selling the truck (which I kind of regret )

I don’t remember Purvis from my time back east but they seem to be a fairly robust service department, offering mobile service is pretty trick.

OP
OP
d.p

d.p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I’m reading this right, you have 40k on the truck, cams were replaced at 30k

if the cams are failed / failing, you seem to be covered by parts warranty. if the associated parts of the repair failed/failing, you may be covered; it’s been a while since I used this but back when the ’01-’04 Lightnings were infamously spitting out spark plugs, many of us would have the plugs changed by the stealership service department to avail ourselves of the 12/12 dealer warranty on workmanship. It worked for several forum users. I had the local shop swap my plugs 2x before selling the truck (which I kind of regret )

I don’t remember Purvis from my time back east but they seem to be a fairly robust service department, offering mobile service is pretty trick.

Correct, well a little more at 41xxx give or take.