GEN 2 2018 Ford Raptor Towing Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMF

Reaction score
I have been searching online all over but haven't quite found my answer.

I am hoping to buy a 2018 raptor SuperCrew (8000 pounds towing with a WD hitch only?) but I do need it to be able to tow my boat. It's a 2013 Mastercraft X star.

My boat is 5400 pounds dry and trailer is about 1700 totalling in at 7100 pounds. To be on the safe side with weight numbers I'll probably always have some fuel and gear etc in the boat so lets say 7400 pounds.

Can I use the SuperCrew raptor to tow this setup safely? Do I absolutely need the WD hitch etc. The trailer is a single pole and then a good 3 feet before the V shape starts so I don't understand how I would even attach a WD hitch.

Any help would be great.

Just to mention.. I only tow the boat maybe 6 times a year a distance of 100km and then once every 2 years I drive it 400km to a further destination. I will also replace the truck every 2 years on the lease as I have always done with my current 2016 toyota tundra 1794

Last edited:

Heeblet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doubt you can lease a Raptor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
J

JMF

Reaction score
You can lease anything in Vancouver BC :)

I have a 16 c63s amg and a 17 jag f type r and they're both well above the raptors price range. Raptor here is about 90k Canadian.

Business tax write offs can lease anything these days. Especially here with average vehicles on the road being 100k or more. I think Vancouver has the highest tesla lease rate in the world starting at some 130k Canadian dollars

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 PM ----------

Let me rephrase that. I lease a fleet of cars so it's not the dealer leasing it to me. I understand where you're coming from if we're talking about the regular consumer buying a car at the dealership.

Last edited:

Mistacheese

Reaction score
Raptor can legally tow 8000lbs. If your trailer and boat and everything in it is less then that, and you are under GVRW, Johnny Law will tip his hat and you'll be on your way. If you are over, they can ticket you, and make you leave the trailer and pick it up with something else.

There are LOTS of people all over north america that pull much higher than the tow rating, most will tell you it works just fine, but that's your call to make.

kenramp

Reaction score
I have been searching online all over but haven't quite found my answer.

I am hoping to buy a 2018 raptor SuperCrew (8000 pounds towing with a WD hitch only?) but I do need it to be able to tow my boat. It's a 2013 Mastercraft X star.

My boat is 5400 pounds dry and trailer is about 1700 totalling in at 7100 pounds. To be on the safe side with weight numbers I'll probably always have some fuel and gear etc in the boat so lets say 7400 pounds.

Can I use the SuperCrew raptor to tow this setup safely? Do I absolutely need the WD hitch etc. The trailer is a single pole and then a good 3 feet before the V shape starts so I don't understand how I would even attach a WD hitch.

Any help would be great.

Just to mention.. I only tow the boat maybe 6 times a year a distance of 100km and then once every 2 years I drive it 400km to a further destination. I will also replace the truck every 2 years on the lease as I have always done with my current 2016 toyota tundra 1794

Before using a WD hitch make sure you trailer is capable. I have a Loadrite boat trailer and while researching on their website it says multiple time a WD hit is not recommended.

My boat/motor/trailer is about 6800, I had the trailer adjusted to give me 475lbs of tongue weight and the Raptor pulls and handles just fine.

OP
OP
J

JMF

Reaction score
Before using a WD hitch make sure you trailer is capable. I have a Loadrite boat trailer and while researching on their website it says multiple time a WD hit is not recommended.

My boat/motor/trailer is about 6800, I had the trailer adjusted to give me 475lbs of tongue weight and the Raptor pulls and handles just fine.

Thanks for the mention. What I have is a factory trailer by MasterCraft. They actually build their own but there's not much super specific information on it's specs

FullSend

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure the MAX tow ratings are with a WD hitch, they would be less without. I have a WD hitch and it's well worth the money. I bounced back and forth on it but came down to hard to argue to spend a few hundred bucks to make your tow setup a bit safer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

VegasRaptor18

Reaction score
I am looking into this also, currently have a 22' Tige, the setup loaded up weighs about 6200lbs with trailer but I am in the market for a new 22' boat that is much heavier, about 7200lb with trailer loaded.

It looks like you can buy a weight distributing hitch that is somewhat universal and may work with the boat trailer, I need to figure this out as I should have my Raptor delivered in the next week or so.

Let me know what else you find out.