2018 Cam Phaser

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trailmaker

Off-road junky
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used an oil additive to get mine under control. My was really bad as it only had to sit 15 minutes to rattle. And it was pretty loud and long after a cold start.(4 sec) I used Lucas. Now it only slightly rattles on cold start and not at all otherwise.
I had the truck in Monday for the cam phase TSB. I got it back within 4 hours.

I had timed the rattle prior to the fix, it was just under 5 seconds.

Since the fix, the rattle happens but for no more than 1.5 seconds if that long. No ticking at all. I think I hear the ticking if I place my ear to the driver's side fender but I can't be sure if it's the original ticking or something else.

My dealer rep says bring it in and they are going to replace the cam phaser set up. I should have the truck back in 3-4 days once I drop it off.

Attachments

• 6F49716A-C4FB-4ED9-81D6-52E82027EC48.jpeg
    6F49716A-C4FB-4ED9-81D6-52E82027EC48.jpeg
    143.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

houtex1

Reaction score
I got the truck back from Big Star on Dec 9, I took it in on Dec 6.

I am very happy so far. No rattle, no ticks. Sounds quieter in idle but I hear more grumble when I step on it. (maybe they turned up the speakers)

Feels good to drive,just as quick as ever.

airberg

Reaction score
My 2018 has been having problems with the engine running rough after exiting the highway and even loss of power ON the highway. Been going back n forth with the dealer for 18 months now. They reprogrammed the ECM under the recall but it never solved the problem.

6 months ago it began misfiring and throwing codes for cylinders 1, 2, & 3 and over retard timing. Every time I got to the dealer the codes would clear by the time they started their work claiming no codes were in the history.

2 weeks ago the engine began to misfire while getting on the highway so I let the codes pop, ran the throttle up to stop the misfire and was able to limp to the dealer. They finally replaced both phasers. 3 days later its still going strong with no symptoms and even the rattle went away!

I'm extremely disappointed in Ford for not fixing this issue after being in the shop for about a bakers dozen times over the last 18 months, especially since they know it's a design defect. Now, time to get that Cobb Tuner and e-tune her for stage 2, 93 octane!

Fastback89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used an oil additive to get mine under control. My was really bad as it only had to sit 15 minutes to rattle. And it was pretty loud and long after a cold start.(4 sec) I used Lucas. Now it only slightly rattles on cold start and not at all otherwise.
Did you pour in the whole quart or just some of it???

Trailmaker

Off-road junky
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you pour in the whole quart or just some of it???
Started with 1/2 the first time but about 2000 miles later I would get a little rattle on cold startups. So now I use the whole quart and change the oil every 5000-6000. I did go to a 10-30 weight oil for the summer ( 10 months or Summer where I live) with that combo I don’t use a qt of oil every 7k like I used to.