2018 Cam Phaser

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hekster1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need help. As Ford Tech One said that the software update will not resolve the issue if you hear the rattling. Going to a local Ford dealer on Monday. I had problems with this dealer before on two occasions because I did not buy the Raptor from them. Manager called to give them one more chance. So I’m doing this. They will hold the truck overnight. My question to you guys here is what should I tell them in regards to the rattling and point them in the right direction. The person I spoke to on the phone had no idea what I was talking about when I told him it has to be a cold start to hear the rattle.
Also I’m in North Jersey, can anyone suggest a good Ford dealer in case this does not work out.
Appreciate the help…

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are you 100 percent sure that it is the cam phaser you hear rattling?

cool dog btw, I love schnauzers.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, hear the rattling on cold starts…

Waste gate (which every 17-20 Raptor) does is different from the Cam Phaser. Post a little video, youtube has a bunch of examples of the actual noise.

Last edited:

Unraptor

Reaction score
Yep, had the same cold start rattle in my 2018. The dealer (Groove Ford in Aurora, CO) held it overnight to hear the noise the following morning, and I provided a video of the rattle to them from my phone.
They agreed it was the cam phasers, had my truck for a week, and the noise has been gone now for the last 4 months.
They said it’s a known issue and the replacements are updated and should take care of the issue. There is a plastic part in the original cam phasers that fails. Good luck to you, this should be acknowledged by your dealer, just be prepared to be without your baby for a few days.

shank_guru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, had the same cold start rattle in my 2018. The dealer (Groove Ford in Aurora, CO) held it overnight to hear the noise the following morning, and I provided a video of the rattle to them from my phone.
They agreed it was the cam phasers, had my truck for a week, and the noise has been gone now for the last 4 months.
They said it’s a known issue and the replacements are updated and should take care of the issue. There is a plastic part in the original cam phasers that fails. Good luck to you, this should be acknowledged by your dealer, just be prepared to be without your baby for a few days.
Same thing on my 2019. Dealer had it Monday of this week for the cold start diagnosis. Going in the first week of November for repair.

houtex1

Reaction score
What happens if you don't fix it? I hear the noise most mornings but I don't always hear it late in the afternoon. I'm guessing being parked in the sun?

But if I don't send it in for repair will it get worse in the long run? Am I at risk of destroying something?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What happens if you don't fix it? I hear the noise most mornings but I don't always hear it late in the afternoon. I'm guessing being parked in the sun?

But if I don't send it in for repair will it get worse in the long run? Am I at risk of destroying something?
What noise are you referring to? Phaser rattle is a distinct 2-5 second rattle noise that will only occur after a cold soak, heat is unrelated. Wastegate rattle is a ticking/rattling noise that occurs when the linkages are cold and improves as they warm up, that’s normal.

houtex1

Reaction score
In the morning (South Texas, garage kept) I remote start the vehicle and there is the 5 second fairly loud rattle followed by 30 seconds of ticking. After work, most day 6pm, same thing but not as loud or as long.