2018 Cam Phaser

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds like two different things. The 5 second noise is the phaser rattle.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In the morning (South Texas, garage kept) I remote start the vehicle and there is the 5 second fairly loud rattle followed by 30 seconds of ticking. After work, most day 6pm, same thing but not as loud or as long.

cam phasers sound like roller coaster tracks, if that is what you heard then that is what it is

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The subtle metallic rattle sound is wastegate nonsense. That’s more about the ambient temperature when you start it. The turbos and actuators cool off way faster than any engine internals ever would.

houtex1

Reaction score
I think I might be ok then. After a few seconds it stops. If I listen very carefully I can hear a ticking sound coming from the driver's side wheel well but nowhere else.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think I might be ok then. After a few seconds it stops. If I listen very carefully I can hear a ticking sound coming from the driver's side wheel well but nowhere else.

That is wastegate rattle, if you remote start the truck then put your hand on the wastegate lever it will quiet down. That is where those noises come from. The CAM phaser is a distinct sound.

Ulises

Reaction score
I am having the same issue with my truck, i've taken it to 2 different dealers, and 1 of them said "they fixed" it, but then it came back the following day. And then they went on strike for almost 2 months.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@houtex1 I had similar same noise on a cold start that I started hearing about a week ago. To me it sounded like marbles rattling in a tin can, definitely not right, then disappears in a second or two.

I called up the service department at mcRee Ford and they called it a cam phaser issue before I even completed my description. They have definitely worked on it before. No need to bring it in for diagnosis before making an appt, which is Nov 3rd unfortunately. I've had work done there before and was not disappointed.

houtex1

Reaction score
I had the truck in Monday for the cam phase TSB. I got it back within 4 hours.

I had timed the rattle prior to the fix, it was just under 5 seconds.

Since the fix, the rattle happens but for no more than 1.5 seconds if that long. No ticking at all. I think I hear the ticking if I place my ear to the driver's side fender but I can't be sure if it's the original ticking or something else.

My dealer rep says bring it in and they are going to replace the cam phaser set up. I should have the truck back in 3-4 days once I drop it off.