2018 Cam Phaser Fear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way, check the oil pan for leaks. This truck has the plastic oil pan, so read up on user experience with them. Ford switched back to metal pans for late 18 builds through present.

I thought it was in late Feb, 2018 they made the switch, so before mid production year. For sure my March 2018 has the metal pan. But yeah, if this is a 2017 production 2018 model it would have plastic.

T!

OP
OP
B Scott

B Scott

Reaction score
Update: After the pre-purchase inspection I learned that the oil pan is leaking, the cam phasers need to be replaced and the pano moon roof tracks need replacement as well as a few more issues found. I went back to the selling dealer with a $4k discount request…silence. Best money spent on a pre-purchase inspection. I can’t stress enough how crucial it is to get an inspection. The search continues!

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Update: After the pre-purchase inspection I learned that the oil pan is leaking, the cam phasers need to be replaced and the pano moon roof tracks need replacement as well as a few more issues found. I went back to the selling dealer with a $4k discount request…silence. Best money spent on a pre-purchase inspection. I can’t stress enough how crucial it is to get an inspection. The search continues!
Now, wouldn't that be awesome if your inspection results showed up on the carfax report, so the dealer couldn't dupe the next potential buyer.

OP
OP
B Scott

B Scott

Reaction score
I saw the truck back on the lot awaiting the next sucker. My only hope is that the Ford dealer that completed the inspection noted the issues on the CarFax just as CoronaRaptor mentioned!

raptor556

Reaction score
ah the cam phaser "issue".

mine rattles for a few seconds on a cold start. Almost never heard it though since I actually use the remote start 95% of the time. I don't much care.

Basically I think it's an issue that isn't really even an issue. But yeah sure, it's not supposed to rattle so I get why some get all crazy with it.

But lets stop pretending this is some major issue that is going to make the truck implode.

If anyone is really worried about this, they probably worry about covid too. oh the horror.

Brian22

Reaction score

Did you look it over yourself or hire someone to look at it? And yeah dealers cannot be trusted, they will sell it to some poor schmuck without batting an eye.

Gen2Boost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had my cam phasers on my 2019 replaced last year. This is the sliding scale warranty that was mentioned (attached PDF).

Attachments

• MC-10199482-0001.pdf
    492 KB · Views: 25