2018 Blowing Blue Smoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
New to the site hope all is well. My 2018 has been at Ford since March first. It blows blue smoke after idling ford has replaced PCV and it continues to smoke has anyone had or heard of this issue. Ford has deer in the headlights going on!

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
How long was it idling? Was it up to normal operating temp before extended idling? Mine smoked once when I let it idle for more than an hour, trying to update Sync. It was on a day that I didn't actually drive anywhere. Next day went to drive off, smoked for a few minutes.

Other times I have let it idle, many times around 45 minutes or so, after driving to a destination. No smoke.

dilmorecg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the blue smoke but there is a common issue with white smoke after idling on the ecoboost engines. You can do a google search about it. Pretty sure my truck does this too but hasn't happened that many times.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not sure about the blue smoke but there is a common issue with white smoke after idling on the ecoboost engines. You can do a google search about it. Pretty sure my truck does this too but hasn't happened that many times.

The issue only affected earlier ('15-17) 2.7 Ecoboosts; it was related to oil entering the turbine housing from the oil feed tube during extended periods of sitting. TSB 19-2188 provided a resolution with a check valve installed in the oil feed line. Unrelated to any issue being discussed in this thread related to 3.5.

CurtisS

Reaction score
2018 raptor here. First post but I’ve been following this for a year or so since I’ve had this issue. It didn’t matter if I warmed up the truck with my fob or sat in it for half an hour on a job site, ANY IDLING would cause my truck to smoke out the street with blue smoke. Oil consumption tests passed, but ALAS, took my truck to an SVT dealer and there’s a tsb for the valve covers. They pulled the trigger right away and I should get it back tomorrow, fingers crossed

RBedford

Reaction score
I’ve had the same exact issue - after idling for an hour or more blows blue smoke. I just had to put a quart in and last oil change was less than a month ago. Ford also just got done replacing the valve covers, so it’s not that. Now I have to take it back up to ford - ridiculous.

Maybe something with the turbos?

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
Had mine narrowed down to a bad turbo seal. Your problem will be getting the dealer to take the time and attention to recreate the issue. My dealership failed miserably even though it would happen to me every time I idled for more than 30 minutes. Finally just traded it in.

Mine was a 2018. They replaced the valve cover before that, so I am pretty sure it was not the cover.

slingshot60

Reaction score
Hmmm... my 2019 has now on two occasions killed every mosquito for a 5 block area. Both times had driven for over an hour at highway speed then stopped and shut it off for 10 minutes or so then started up and drove off. On light/medium acceleration there is a large cloud of blue smoke for a half mile or so then it stops. Even had a guy catch up to me and tell me it was smoking. Have not noticed any other time... Thoughts?
FordTechOne?