2018 802a, Sell to local dealer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimmyv

Reaction score
Its not posted for sale in the For Sale section here, so you all have not seen it, but I haven’t had much local interest in it on Craigslist and I’m considering selling my Ruby Red 2018 SCREW 802a to a dealer for cash.

I assume I’m leaving a healthy profit for them, but we haven’t had much interest locally. I’m inclined to think many folks don’t have the upfront cash or know-how to finance a private party sale?

The dealer has made me a substantiol offer, and they admittedly won’t transfer the extended/maintenance warranty (not a ford dealer) or want any off-road equipment chase rack, race radio or lowrance gps.

Truck has nice Method wheels, 47k miles and Ford 125 extended warranty and 125 premium maintance plan transferable (if private party). Every option available including the technology package, carbon fiber package, etc. You name it, it’s got it.

I figure I’m leaving a lot on the table going this route.

Has anybody here sold direct to a dealer (not in trade)?

moog5050

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sold my 2012 direct to a dealer in 2019 pre covid. I figured I gave up about $2k on the sale vs. private party but I still got a good buck and my time is worth something.

OP
OP
J

jimmyv

Reaction score
Thanks, that’s kinda where I’m at.

Lots of back and forth with people, the occasional lowball offer without seeing the truck. Kinda par for the course I guess.

I think I’m hung up on the dealer not being able to compensate for the warranty and maintance plan. They won’t transfer it, so it’s means nothing to them. But to a buyer, its still worth a fair amount.

Off-road equipment I can remove and resell, but letting the warranty go seems like money left on the table.

Ive heard you can cancel an extended warranty and maintenance plan, and the dealer can prorate for what was not used.

Anyone have any experience canceling?

STHenry

Reaction score
I was involved in an accident with my Mustang and when it was totaled out I was able to cancel the extended warranty through the dealership I purchased it at. You might be able to do that and at least get some of your investment back.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Usually there is a department of licensing form saying that you sold the truck to the new dealer. Then you have to take that form back to the dealer who gave you the warranty/maintenance package. They summit it for a prorated amount. Takes a number of weeks to come it. But it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

84 Sheepdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same experience trying to sell mine private party 6 months ago. Lots of lowball offers and it ended up just being a waste of time. The dealer made a solid offer on it when my truck arrived so I just traded it in on the new one. It saved me almost $4k tax on the trade-in allowance here. If you sell to another dealer and not as part of a trade you miss out on that tax advantage. I don't know if it's the same in CA but that's how it works here.

OP
OP
J

jimmyv

Reaction score
@84 Sheepdog Thanks, I realize trading up for a newer truck, the dealer is more open to making a trade-in work out for both of us. In his case I’m not buying a bigger truck, and looking for the cash to fund another build and my offers are from non ford used car dealerships.

No one here will probably like this, but I’m probably going back to a Toyota to build another simple prerunner.

Last edited: