2018 3.5 eco boost problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kid icarus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Goblues38, your sarcastic response deeply appreciated. For further edification, truck was purchased as new from dealer with 3000 miles on it. All fluid levels normal at time of purchase. High performance engine no excuse for that amount of oil consumption and oil light indicator woefully lacking. Something definitely wrong with this engine and ford knows it. Am awaiting further news from them. Truck has been at dealer for 2 1/2 weeks now

Trade this thing in and try to recoup your money.

OP
OP
D

Doctor Mike

Reaction score
Got truck back after 3 1-2 weeks at dealer. Repalced valve covers first and this time phasers and Tomong chain. Running well this far but now have remote start climate control issues. Have about $4000 in accessories that I don’t want to eat if they buy it back or give me new one

mezger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checked my oil today, so far it's used < 1/4 qt in ~3.5k miles on this oil change, pretty much no measurable oil consumption. It's about 1/4" from the full mark, which is where I believe it was after I last changed its oil.

I don't abuse my truck, but I also don't baby it. Sees WOT several times each drive. Probably the only biggest outlier of its use is it almost never idles for long periods in gridlock traffic and it's never run with auto stop start.

So far, a very solid drivetrain; I've had zero problems with this truck.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More importantly....

What kind of doctor are you?

Got truck back after 3 1-2 weeks at dealer. Repalced valve covers first and this time phasers and Tomong chain. Running well this far but now have remote start climate control issues. Have about $4000 in accessories that I don’t want to eat if they buy it back or give me new one

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score

What is this tomong chain you speak of that was repalced?

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score

giphy.gif

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The same thing is being accomplished by monitoring/using oil pressure. It becomes a matter of using a reliable point in the motor/oil path that will give the best "true" pressure reading.

Regarding an oil level sensor or using the dip stick:
Let's add in the possibility that people are running the truck in a level stance. Physically the oil level could change due to the reference point in the pan. The leveled stance gives a "false positive" that the oil level may be over/under the recommend point on the dip stick. SO that would lead to people over/under filling the oil just cause of the physical indication on the dip stick.

This was a VERY common "owner issue" with Super Duty trucks running leveled or just a bit nose high for both the coolant levels and the oil levels.

Not only this, but since nobody reads their manual, I'm guessing very few actually read their oil level correctly. Honestly it is quite picky and a PITA.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Just have the dealer swap over the accessories to the replacement truck. Seems like replacement is your best bet if they can’t fix it. Or just fight them to put in a new motor.

T28lee

Reaction score
Similar issue with my 2019, engine warning light came on a few miles over 4k. Took it into dealer and Service guy was shocked to pull out a bone dry oil dip-stick. Initial info was that head gasket leak was causing oil burning. They are currently opening it up to see what damage may have been caused. It never occurred to me that i'd need to check the oil so quickly on a new vehicle (learnt that lesson now!!). Tense wait to see just how bad it is.

T28lee

Reaction score
Similar issue with my 2019, engine warning light came on a few miles over 4k. Took it into dealer and Service guy was shocked to pull out a bone dry oil dip-stick. Initial info was that head gasket leak was causing oil burning. They are currently opening it up to see what damage may have been caused. It never occurred to me that i'd need to check the oil so quickly on a new vehicle (learnt that lesson now!!). Tense wait to see just how bad it is.

Two Cylinder Head covers replaced per Ford Service Bulletin. Back on the road again :)