2018 3.5 eco boost problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doctor Mike

Reaction score
I really wanted to love my 2018 Raptor after researching all other possibilities and purchasing a fully loaded one in which I have already sunk additional $$$ in bed cover, aux lights etc.
Problems began from get go with lurching on accel etc . At 4500 miles engine (not oil light) came on. Dealer said there was a problem with valve covers (?) and ford had a bulletin on it. Only two quarts of oil were in crankcase and I had not noticed any leaking or smell of burning oil. I got truck back and shortly thereafter noticed valve tap at idle. Truck has been back there 10 days already. Again I am told there is a bulletin on that also and some known problem with CVT hieverbi fail to understand what the transmission has to do with the valve tap but nevertheless they have to take engine apart at 4700 miles. This does not bode well for me and leaves me very disenchanted with this product. Any input/information/ explanation from anyone with more knowledge and experience than me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Doc Mike

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you not check your oil? I check oil every 2-3 fill ups. With 36 gallons, lord knows there is time to kill. You would have noticed you are eating oil before a larger problem was made.

Oil pressure idiot gauge would not have shown a problem as long as there was enough oil to keep things pressurized.

Shogunn of Panama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed my oil for the first time yesterday at 3200 miles. Bought a 5 quart and a single quart. I always poor the old oil back into the new oil containers to recycle. I was surprised to see that when I poured the old oil in the 5 quart bottle, it only filled up 3/4 the bottle. This truck either eats oil like crazy or I was robbed some oil before it left the factory.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yeah, that valve cover issue appears legit, but by far, the biggest single problem with the Ecoboost is FRF user sasquatch77, now registered as kid icarus . She is a long time ecoboost troll here who has been banned several times by the admin staff and will be again. soon.

kid icarus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really wanted to love my 2018 Raptor after researching all other possibilities and purchasing a fully loaded one in which I have already sunk additional $$$ in bed cover, aux lights etc.
Problems began from get go with lurching on accel etc . At 4500 miles engine (not oil light) came on. Dealer said there was a problem with valve covers (?) and ford had a bulletin on it. Only two quarts of oil were in crankcase and I had not noticed any leaking or smell of burning oil. I got truck back and shortly thereafter noticed valve tap at idle. Truck has been back there 10 days already. Again I am told there is a bulletin on that also and some known problem with CVT hieverbi fail to understand what the transmission has to do with the valve tap but nevertheless they have to take engine apart at 4700 miles. This does not bode well for me and leaves me very disenchanted with this product. Any input/information/ explanation from anyone with more knowledge and experience than me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Doc Mike

Lemon law that thing while you can and get something else. Hold Ford accountable.
This story is getting all too common.

mezger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What bugs me the most about these posts are they suggest this truck lets oil get critically low without it raising a low oil level idiot light. My rap didn't use much or any in its first 5kmiles (first oil change), but I'm going to have to check it very regularly.

Many of my other cars consume(d) some oil (nature of a high RPM beast), but they also raise an idiot light when they get 1 qt low, and they all take a lot more than 6 qts of oil.

Do these trucks have no oil level sensor?

Follow on question: my oil gauge never moves. Unsure if it's a gauge for pressure or level; I was expecting it to be pressure, but if so, this thing must have some very well controlled constant pressure oiling system... or it's one of those useless gauges that doesn't move unless there's a big problem.

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Follow on question: my oil gauge never moves. Unsure if it's a gauge for pressure or level; I was expecting it to be pressure, but if so, this thing must have some very well controlled constant pressure oiling system... or it's one of those useless gauges that doesn't move unless there's a big problem.

I recall Ford uses a pressure switch not a pressure gauge or level sensor. So when the pressure drops below the parameters the switch causes the dash alert.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
correct. it’s a pretty version of an idiot light. They’re not the only ones doing this BTW, but it’s kind of bad on a performance vehicle.