2018-19 Poor Quality Control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If people start speaking up about it and not accepting it, the quality will most likely get better. Now if people just say “it’s just a truck” then there is no need or motivation to improve it. Go look at at a Toyota Tundra no option “work truck”, I bet the interior quality is notably better, as far as panels, alignment, interior etc

Keep demanding quality and soon it will start to get better as manufacturers realize they can’t sell trucks without it

Just my opinion

Fit and finish, performance, price; pick any two.

As with everything in life, you get what you pay for.

An entry-level X5 starts at $60k and is far less capable than the Raptor. You get a lot more performance for your money in the Ford and you get a lot better fit and finish in the BMW.

Jeep/Ram give you even more novelty features than Ford, but they sacrifice reliability and build quality to reach their price point.

Toyota is the opposite. Their vehicles have better quality and reliability, but they achieve that by building, simple, out of date products.

Merc's G-waggon gives you fit, finish, and performance, but it also starts at $125k.

I'd love to have better build quilty and reliability in my Raptor, but I'd also love a free lunch too.

If the choice was between the current truck, or spending $30k extra for Merc level fit and finish, I'm very happy with what I have. Part of the reason I enjoy the Raptor so much is because it doesn't have a fancy interior and flawless paint. That means I have zero reservations about using the truck for what it was designed for.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If the choice was between the current truck, or spending $30k extra for Merc level fit and finish, I'm very happy with what I have. Part of the reason I enjoy the Raptor so much is because it doesn't have a fancy interior and flawless paint. That means I have zero reservations about using the truck for what it was designed for.

Somebody gets it. Honestly, I have problems treating my truck like a truck sometimes because I'm worried about damaging my interior or paint. If it was nicer, it would be even more difficult, not to mention replacement parts would be even more expensive.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I ordered mine exactly like I want it. I really love it. That said, one major annoyance is that my tailgate doesn't close evenly (like both standard F-150 4x4s I've had prior to it and both kept for 10 & 11 years each). My passenger front door also has about a 1/4"+ gap at the bottom when closed. I don't get any air/road noise, but again, the door just doesn't line up. And yes, it's a truck, but no, that's not 'within tolerance' and has nothing to do with it being an offroad truck. It has to do with the body panels not being attached evenly (same with tailgate). I'll leave it with the dealer when I do the next service at 15k miles. While 'Ford Performance" is really about the engine, suspension, frame, etc., for $70K (or $20K) I expect tailgates and doors to line up and close evenly. I'd be happy to attach pics if I could figure out how to load to my media library, but for some reason it won't work for me (like it does on two other forums I use).

My tailgate is all off by about a few mm's it doesn't sound like a lot, but when you subtract a few mm from one side and add it to the other, you notice a pretty big gap difference. My dealer is willing to try and fix it up but I haven't taken it back yet.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
An entry-level X5 starts at $60k and is far less capable than the Raptor. You get a lot more performance for your money in the Ford and you get a lot better fit and finish in the BMW.

Plus you get to drive a Ford, and not a brand B. the electric and electronic gremlins in brand b vehicles makes it seem like they hired lucas electrical ( aka, the prince of darkness ).

GTTXRAP

Drill Baby Drill
Reaction score
Yes I expect a lot for 70k. And I've bought 15 vehicles and never seen this type of poor quality on any new automobile I've purchased. So basically your saying in 2019 it's perfectly fine for new vehicles to have crap paint, rusted parts, corroded parts, misaligned door panels that could leak air, crooked bumpers, crooked steering columns, numerous scratches, etc, etc?
Buy a Dodge--see how that goes.

I called, went picked up and came home buying my 19. It's a FREAKING TRUCK...it's not a McLaren. Yep some orange peel who cares. Had a two stage paint correction done and it's smooth as silk.

It's a Ford. Calm down or go buy something else.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am surprised by the number of guys that are ok with poor quality because its a truck?

If you are using a Raptor as it was intended to be used, there is nothing poor quality or cheap about it.

If all you care about is mirror finish paint and panel gaps, then yeah, you will be disappointed.

A lot of people in this thread would be much better off in an entry level X5 and should sell their "*************" Ford.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am surprised by the number of guys that are ok with poor quality because its a truck?
I'm happy with the fit and finish on my truck.
However... I've worked on an assembly line for over 30 years. I see on a daily basis how quality can vary from one shift to another. Some people show up for work and think they deserve a pay check just for being there. Others take pride in what they do and and strive to do their best. In my industry there is usually more quality control personal on duty during day shift Mon through Fri checking tolerances than there is on night shift and weekend shift.

BIG TIME BALLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s not a $70k truck. It’s a truck that Ford charges $70k for. The same production line produces the $30k version as well.

Gotta admit that I’m pleased with my truck, but perhaps I don’t have the same sharp eye for imperfections.

CurtZX

Reaction score
I just sold my 2018 Sierra Denali that was RUSTING all over (body, frame, you name it) after only 4 months of ownership. What a POS that was. Took delivery of a '19 Rappy and the fit and finish are light years ahead of the garbage GM. I had a Viper GTS a few years back. "Hand built", amazing car. But nothing lined up. Everything was put together with shims. This Raptor is going to have to do a LOT to **** me off because I sure can't see a thing wrong with it so far in terms of quality control!