2017 with 86k miles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spinothalamic

Reaction score
Hello. I’ve been reading up as much as I can, and found a local deal on a 133” WB 2017 raptor. It has 86k miles. Is this going to be a money pit, or will this thing run for years? I test drive a gen 1 today and it didn’t feel right. And wtf is a cam phaser?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hard to say if thats a good truck or not, did you see the carfax for it? I posted a video about camphasers for you in your other thread, btw.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I explained cam phasers in the other thread.

It’s an F-150; if well taken care of it will run for years just like the rest of them. However, any time you buy used you’re taking a calculated risk. Unless you have detailed maintenance records from a dealer or legit shop, there is no way to know how it was maintained. Anyone can forge hand written records; in that case you’re at the mercy of someone else’s honesty. There is also no way to know for sure if it’s been damaged or in an accident; if it doesn’t go through insurance, it won’t be on a CarFax.

I’ve bought plenty of used vehicles, but all were less than $15k. The large majority of people are not meticulous about vehicle maintenance and care and damage/accidents are an unknown, so the higher the price the greater the risk.

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can’t test drive 1 gen 1 and rule out ALL gen 1’s. Every single one will drive differently depending on small differences like when the control arm Ball joints and tie rods were replaced. Drive 5 and then decide. You’ll save 20k+ buying a gen 1, and you’ll have a truck that’s a hell of a lot more reliable. Only buy a gen 2 if you really want a newer truck.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can’t test drive 1 gen 1 and rule out ALL gen 1’s. Every single one will drive differently depending on small differences like when the control arm Ball joints and tie rods were replaced. Drive 5 and then decide. You’ll save 20k+ buying a gen 1, and you’ll have a truck that’s a hell of a lot more reliable. Only buy a gen 2 if you really want a newer truck.

There is zero evidence to support that a Gen 1 is “more reliable” than a Gen 2. That’s a Gen 1 fanboy argument that is simply not true.

The money savings is irrelevant when you’re buying an older, higher mileage vehicle with less capability, performance, and technology. You get what you pay for, the older models are cheaper for a reason.

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is zero evidence to support that a Gen 1 is “more reliable” than a Gen 2. That’s a Gen 1 fanboy argument that is simply not true.

The money savings is irrelevant when you’re buying an older, higher mileage vehicle with less capability, performance, and technology. You get what you pay for, the older models are cheaper for a reason.
There is not “zero evidence”. On top of the pages upon pages of forum posts detailing gen 2 problems, I consulted friends that own dealerships prior to buying mine and found that they themselves had seen far more gen 2’s with powertrain failures than gen 1’s, including numerous near 100k with turbo failures.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is not “zero evidence”. On top of the pages upon pages of forum posts detailing gen 2 problems, I consulted friends that own dealerships prior to buying mine and found that they themselves had seen far more gen 2’s with powertrain failures than gen 1’s, including numerous near 100k with turbo failures.

That’s all anecdotal evidence and frankly, ********. You’re trying to make an assertion with zero actual data or facts to support it; claimed 3rd party statements from random people is meaningless. Especially “owners of dealerships”, they don’t spend their time in the Service Department nor do most have any technical experience.

There have been far more Gen 2 trucks sold than Gen 1’s, so it’s a given that you will see more posts and dealers may see more vehicles in for service. That is not conclusive or indicative of the vehicle’s overall reliability. As far as turbochargers, they don’t just “fail” at high mileage unless the vehicle has had poor maintenance or has been modified.

You act as if common Gen 1 issues such as Fuse F27 melting, blend door actuator failures, 6R80 leadframe issues, cab corner rust, and valve spring failure at high mileage don’t exist. Yet I’m not making statements that Gen 2 is “more reliable” than Gen 1, because there is not empirical data to support those kinds of claims.

Both Generations are reliable vehicles; to claim otherwise is baseless and misleading, and that doesn’t help the OP or anyone else on the forum looking for information.

Last edited:
Reaction score

I would agree. This is why I am waiting to see what is coming so that I can buy. If Ford keeps the same engine, or goes power boost, I will go but a TRX. If they do a 5.0 or 5.2, I am in for that.

2slo4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would agree. This is why I am waiting to see what is coming so that I can buy. If Ford keeps the same engine, or goes power boost, I will go but a TRX. If they do a 5.0 or 5.2, I am in for that.
Yes, consider the TRX. The hellcat is known for its reliability, not to mention its outstanding mpg’s. Haha

RotorHead695

Full Access Member
Reaction score

See, I'm the opposite. I really want to see the Powerboost in it. The V8 = meh to me. Don't really care about the sound and regardless of reliability, I will always have a factory warranty cover any high-tech vehicle I own.