2017 Stereo upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
crash457

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Worth a shot to see if any of your power/ground lines are near any signal lines. Are the RCAs shielded?
The RCAs are shielded. They are Stinger 4000 series. I even pulled them out and ran them straight through the cab to the amp so they aren't touching anything. The noise is present even when they are unplugged. I tried unbolting the amp from the board, in case the factory amp mounted on the backside was causing noise. No change. Only thing I can think is the passive crossovers are mounted on the back of the amp board right next to the factory amp. They could be picking up noise but it seems unlikely. The fact that the additional ground wire I added from the battery to the fender seemed to improve it leads me to believe it's a ground issue. I know grounding on an aluminum truck is always going to be an issue, that's why I ran my ground all the way to the battery. I'm going to try upgrading the ground from the engine to the frame and see if that helps.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The RCAs are shielded. They are Stinger 4000 series. I even pulled them out and ran them straight through the cab to the amp so they aren't touching anything. The noise is present even when they are unplugged. I tried unbolting the amp from the board, in case the factory amp mounted on the backside was causing noise. No change. Only thing I can think is the passive crossovers are mounted on the back of the amp board right next to the factory amp. They could be picking up noise but it seems unlikely. The fact that the additional ground wire I added from the battery to the fender seemed to improve it leads me to believe it's a ground issue. I know grounding on an aluminum truck is always going to be an issue, that's why I ran my ground all the way to the battery. I'm going to try upgrading the ground from the engine to the frame and see if that helps.
good chance those crossovers are picking up the noise.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
[QUOTE="crash457, post: 1625620, member: 20759”]The noise is present even when they are unplugged. I tried unbolting the amp from the board, in case the factory amp mounted on the backside was causing noise. No change.[/QUOTE]

So, let me make sure I understand correctly. As soon as you have power to the amp, you hear the noise and you hear the noise regardless of whether the speakers are connected or not?

Is the fan on the amp going south or causing the noise?
If it’s not the fan, and your ground upgrade doesn’t pan out, get another amp.

OP
OP
crash457

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE="crash457, post: 1625620, member: 20759”]The noise is present even when they are unplugged. I tried unbolting the amp from the board, in case the factory amp mounted on the backside was causing noise. No change.

So, let me make sure I understand correctly. As soon as you have power to the amp, you hear the noise and you hear the noise regardless of whether the speakers are connected or not?

Is the fan on the amp going south or causing the noise?
If it’s not the fan, and your ground upgrade doesn’t pan out, get another amp.[/QUOTE]
Yes. It's not the fan. The sound is there even when the fan isn't running. I think it's either a ground issue or possibly the amp. I'm leaning to ground since the additional ground improved it slightly.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i saw a sign at a mechanics shop many years ago. it said the following

good
cheap
fast

pick any two

i use a similiar phrase with audio

power
small size
good sound

pick any two

while technology has come a long way since then, it still applies to many amplifiers on the market