2017 rear end dance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B Scott

Reaction score
You should do the shock exchange program through Shocks by Hammer. They ship the shocks to you and you swap them out when you can. Send your old ones back when you’re done and get your deposit refunded. Worked great for my Gen 1 and Brian was great to work with.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
38lbs might be too much depending on tires. I got a lot more hop on rough roads at 38 to 40. My dealer always sets at 40 and I have adjust down.

Before replacing shocks try dropping to 34 or 35 lbs and just see if it makes a difference. Cheap easy verification.

ShocksbyHammer

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Jaison,
What you are experiencing is a loss of nitrogen more than anythingg. Your shocks aren’t “blown”. What happens is, over time everything loses pressure whether it is your tires or your shocks. Your shocks from the factory are charged to a specific gas pressure using nitrogen.

Without special tools you can’t check the gas pressure in your shocks. We make that easier by installing Schrader valves in your shocks. This makes it possible for you to check and maintain the nitrogen in your shocks.

Give us a call at Shocks By Hammer.

Check out our website at www.shocksbyhammer.com.

We have a shock exchange program for both Gen1 and Gen2 shocks.

You can also find us at Ford Raptor Shock Exchange and Suspension on Facebook. We have over 11 years of experience in the shock business.

You can also call me at 604-354-2126. We are open 7 days a week. Would love to help you out and help you understand what you’re dealing with.

Thanks,

Brian

charlesraptor

Reaction score
What’s up all!

I recently picked up a one owner 2017 with 52k on the clock. Great truck top to bottom, but having owned a Gen1 with blown shocks at 95k, I can’t help but feel like the (at least) rear shocks on my Gen2 are either blown, or on their way out, even though visibly I cannot see any weeping or leaking. It has what I can only describe as “rear end dance” around rough, on road corners. The front feels “ok”, but just ok at best. Does it seem unreasonable that a one owner, serviced at the dealer it was bought, no signs of off-roaded 53k Gen2 would have blown shocks already?

Secondarily, does anyone have any feedback on my Ford extended warranty replacing them if they’re indeed blown, or do they fall under a “wear and tear” item.

Best,
Jaison
Ive had 2 gen 1s .presently have 2017 gen 2. 97.000 miles . I’ve had rear wheel hop
since new . My sons truck was ordered same time one vin # off mine . His truck does same thing . More noticeable at interstate highway pot holes . Was told it’s inherent in gen 2 trucks . On lists for 2023 .

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Gen 2 rebuild are 10,000 off-road and 50,000 minimal off roading. I’m at 69,000 and need a rebuild.

darinz

Reaction score
Jaison,
What you are experiencing is a loss of nitrogen more than anythingg. Your shocks aren’t “blown”. What happens is, over time everything loses pressure whether it is your tires or your shocks. Your shocks from the factory are charged to a specific gas pressure using nitrogen.

Without special tools you can’t check the gas pressure in your shocks. We make that easier by installing Schrader valves in your shocks. This makes it possible for you to check and maintain the nitrogen in your shocks.

Give us a call at Shocks By Hammer.

Check out our website at www.shocksbyhammer.com.

We have a shock exchange program for both Gen1 and Gen2 shocks.

You can also find us at Ford Raptor Shock Exchange and Suspension on Facebook. We have over 11 years of experience in the shock business.

You can also call me at 604-354-2126. We are open 7 days a week. Would love to help you out and help you understand what you’re dealing with.

Thanks,

Brian
What pressure do you recommend them to be at?

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ive had 2 gen 1s .presently have 2017 gen 2. 97.000 miles . I’ve had rear wheel hop
since new . My sons truck was ordered same time one vin # off mine . His truck does same thing . More noticeable at interstate highway pot holes . Was told it’s inherent in gen 2 trucks . On lists for 2023 .
As I said, it is the OEM rear springs. They are garbage.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 2019 raptor has addresses axel hop to a large degree. Would Deavers improve upon this. Do they make the ride more harsh when using a s daily driver?
2020 here... ummm, no. Took Deavers to get the rear under control. OE leafs were completely flat by 15k on road only!!!

Ok, 99% on road...