2017 Raptor Noise at higher speeds & when towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atsi

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Raptor with about 43K miles. I have been getting a noise at higher speeds & also happens more when towing. I took it into the dealer and they had it for 3 days and could not replicate the noise. if you listen to the attached video, the noise is from 14 seconds to 21 seconds, 28-31, 37-39.

Mostly happens around 70-80MPH, but has also happened around 43-48MPH. Normally lasts around 6-15 seconds. If I take a 15 minute drive, it probably happens 5-6 times. Almost sounds like ball bearings going bad, wind noise, or a shuffling of plastic bags. Sometimes there is a slight catching of a gear at the end and with a small thud that I can hear & feel and the issue resolves for a minute or two. This thud does not always happen.

When I towed my boat once with this, it happened constantly.

thx.

Jeff

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like the Integrated Wheel End (IWE) system is partially engaging under load. The IWEs are hub disconnects; when the truck is in 2WD, the engagement collar is drawn off of the wheel hub by vacuum. When 4WD is engaged, the vacuum is removed and a return spring slides the collar on to the wheel hub splines.

Try putting the truck in 4A and see if the noise goes away. If so, you may have a faulty vacuum check valve or a vacuum leak in the system.

OP
OP
A

atsi

Reaction score
@FordTechOne , Thanks for the info. As soon as the sound happened again I turned it into 4A and the sound went away, also when kept in 4A, the sound never came on again until i put it back into 2WD. Looks like you solved the mystery. Thx!

Jeff