2017 Raptor and Power tailgate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So as you know the 2015 Ford F-150 has a new feature, a power tailgate. So in comparison, lots of SUVs these days have the power lift hatch, the 2015 F-150 has a power tailgate ... hit the key-fob and the tailgate will unlock and lower down.

When I saw this feature, I was like "not necessary" and just another item to break. And then I saw a video review on a F-150 and i was like I am getting that option.

As an added benefit of this option, when you click lock all doors on the key-fob, it also locks the tailgate which is a nice safety feature which should deter thiefs from getting into your bed or even stealing your tailgate.

Here's a video >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlsDpvRsD9I

Last edited:

FullAuto

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That is pretty nice! I like what they did with the handle. The way it is set up now it can sometimes be a pain when I'm trying to slide a heavy item in.

Craigy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like it's not a power tailgate per-se, but a remote release. Still a really nice feature. I thought the power tailgate on my wife's SUV was silly but I use it all the time.

But probably the best improvement is that it's a remote locking tailgate so you won't get your gate stolen.

OP
OP
Raptor911

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On the current raptor, if you open the tailgate and not support it, it just slams down. This is why most guys buy a shock so that it slowly lowers. On the 2015 F-150, it does not slam down with this feature. You may be correct that it is only a remote release but the Ford must have added some new feature that allows the tailgate to slowly lower.

Actually, just found this video. The new F150 does have a new mechanism that slowly lowers the tailgate >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-MksZbRhLg

Looks like it's not a power tailgate per-se, but a remote release. Still a really nice feature. I thought the power tailgate on my wife's SUV was silly but I use it all the time.

But probably the best improvement is that it's a remote locking tailgate so you won't get your gate stolen.

Craigy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah in the first video you posted it shows the dampened lowering.

By saying it's not a power tailgate I mean there is no power or motor which lowers and raises the tailgate. On SUVs the power tailgate is electrically actuated, goes both up and down, and not some sort of gravity mechanism.

There is something charming/appealing about opening a pickup tailgate and letting it slam down though... so that will be lost :D

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Will the stripper pole auto deploy as well?

freedommotorsports.us

Phone: 260-444-7503
Email: [email protected]

FreedomLogo.jpg