2017 Overheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Idling in Dallas traffic this afternoon (ambient 106; heat index was probably around 115 on the freeway), my 2017 started overheating. Yes, the coolant is full and the radiator and charge air fans were working hard (could hear them loudly from the cabin). I checked the radiator when I got home (after it cooled down), and the fins don't appear to be dirty.

Coolant temp got all the way up to 256 (yikes), but I was stuck in traffic so just kept crawling until I could get it to a side street to get up some speed -- once I got the speed up it cooled down, but every time I stopped at a light it crept back up.

Truck only has 42k miles and the 5 year powertrain warranty just expired two months ago.

Perhaps it's the thermostat. I don't think any of the existing CSPs that I haven't had done (PCM Reprogram for Engine Shudder, and the other one for Cam Phaser Rattle) would relate to this issue.

I'm wondering if there's any damage from it getting that hot.
Did you check the oil? I have traced my overheating issues to oil consumption. Specifically when I have my tune on, the higher psi seems to some how consume oil but not on the stock tune. I went so far as to install a full race radiator and it was still overheating. But it seems to happen when you push the motor hard and you’re at least a couple two or 3 quarts low.

onthebrake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you check the oil? I have traced my overheating issues to oil consumption. Specifically when I have my tune on, the higher psi seems to some how consume oil but not on the stock tune. I went so far as to install a full race radiator and it was still overheating. But it seems to happen when you push the motor hard and you’re at least a couple two or 3 quarts low.
2 or 3 quarts low ? What the heck ? The lowest I've ever been is on my supercharged AMG and that's just 1 quart. How often do you check you oil ?? Maybe you should check it more routinely with your tune, just saying.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Idling in Dallas traffic this afternoon (ambient 106; heat index was probably around 115 on the freeway), my 2017 started overheating. Yes, the coolant is full and the radiator and charge air fans were working hard (could hear them loudly from the cabin). I checked the radiator when I got home (after it cooled down), and the fins don't appear to be dirty.

Coolant temp got all the way up to 256 (yikes), but I was stuck in traffic so just kept crawling until I could get it to a side street to get up some speed -- once I got the speed up it cooled down, but every time I stopped at a light it crept back up.

Truck only has 42k miles and the 5 year powertrain warranty just expired two months ago.

Perhaps it's the thermostat. I don't think any of the existing CSPs that I haven't had done (PCM Reprogram for Engine Shudder, and the other one for Cam Phaser Rattle) would relate to this issue.

I'm wondering if there's any damage from it getting that hot.
2 or 3 quarts low ? What the heck ? The lowest I've ever been is on my supercharged AMG and that's just 1 quart. How often do you check you oil ?? Maybe you should check it more routinely with your tune, just saying.
thanks Ma!

2slo4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spent a week in Baja and driving back to Utah I expierenced the coolant temp climbing when I went to pass someone. I figured it was from all the dirt or maybe my water pump starting to go bad. The Ford service advisor told something about the Raptors having issues with the radiators getting clogged and they replaced everything under my esp warranty. This was last week. I have no idea if this is true or not. I have not had a chance to test it as the temps are nowhere near 110 degrees when I was crossing CA and NV

OP
OP
G

GLT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I've been out of town for the past 10 days, so it's been sitting in the garage and I haven't been able to further troubleshoot. I'll check again to make sure the radiator fins are clean and that all the fans are working, and will change to a 170F thermostat. Oil level is good.

@2slo4u what do you mean by "radiators getting clogged"?