2017 Overheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GLT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idling in Dallas traffic this afternoon (ambient 106; heat index was probably around 115 on the freeway), my 2017 started overheating. Yes, the coolant is full and the radiator and charge air fans were working hard (could hear them loudly from the cabin). I checked the radiator when I got home (after it cooled down), and the fins don't appear to be dirty.

Coolant temp got all the way up to 256 (yikes), but I was stuck in traffic so just kept crawling until I could get it to a side street to get up some speed -- once I got the speed up it cooled down, but every time I stopped at a light it crept back up.

Truck only has 42k miles and the 5 year powertrain warranty just expired two months ago.

Perhaps it's the thermostat. I don't think any of the existing CSPs that I haven't had done (PCM Reprogram for Engine Shudder, and the other one for Cam Phaser Rattle) would relate to this issue.

I'm wondering if there's any damage from it getting that hot.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have you ever driven in the mud or on a lot of gravel roads? You would be surprised at how much dirt a radiator can hide between the fins, I would take it to a car wash and pressure wash(without bending the fins) the radiator and condenser coil really well and see if any sediment pools beneath the truck. It can take a good soaking to loosen up dirt that has built up. A sure way to tell if your rad is plugging up is if the high speed fans come on sooner than you think they normally would. Anyway, if that turns out not to be a problem, then I would look at the thermostat, etc.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Overheating like steam coming out of the hood, flashing dash, etc? I have nothing to help, just clarifying.
I got stuck in hot traffic in San Antonio today and got an engine light related to camshaft position sensor. I think Bezos or Gates flipped a switch today on all the computerized stuff. lol.

OP
OP
G

GLT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you ever driven in the mud or on a lot of gravel roads? You would be surprised at how much dirt a radiator can hide between the fins, I would take it to a car wash and pressure wash(without bending the fins) the radiator and condenser coil really well and see if any sediment pools beneath the truck. It can take a good soaking to loosen up dirt that has built up. A sure way to tell if your rad is plugging up is if the high speed fans come on sooner than you think they normally would. Anyway, if that turns out not to be a problem, then I would look at the thermostat, etc.
Yes, not mud but lots of dirt. Will take to car wash tomorrow. Yes, I've noticed the fans coming on alot, and early. Thanks for the feedback.

OP
OP
G

GLT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Overheating like steam coming out of the hood, flashing dash, etc? I have nothing to help, just clarifying.
I got stuck in hot traffic in San Antonio today and got an engine light related to camshaft position sensor. I think Bezos or Gates flipped a switch today on all the computerized stuff. lol.
No steam and no dash lights/warnings. Gauge was a little more than 3/4 of the way to pegged; I learned that the coolant gauge is definitely not an on/off or idiot gauge like the oil pressure gauge is. Lol I wish it was just Bezos; it's this damn Texas heat

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idling in Dallas traffic this afternoon (ambient 106; heat index was probably around 115 on the freeway), my 2017 started overheating. Yes, the coolant is full and the radiator and charge air fans were working hard (could hear them loudly from the cabin). I checked the radiator when I got home (after it cooled down), and the fins don't appear to be dirty.

Coolant temp got all the way up to 256 (yikes), but I was stuck in traffic so just kept crawling until I could get it to a side street to get up some speed -- once I got the speed up it cooled down, but every time I stopped at a light it crept back up.

Truck only has 42k miles and the 5 year powertrain warranty just expired two months ago.

Perhaps it's the thermostat. I don't think any of the existing CSPs that I haven't had done (PCM Reprogram for Engine Shudder, and the other one for Cam Phaser Rattle) would relate to this issue.

I'm wondering if there's any damage from it getting that hot.
I am sure if you have a nice Ford Loyalty Score I am sure that Ford will find out what is wrong and fix it under an extended warranty claim. Of course, any car could overheat in that weather, we just don't expect it on a Baja vehicle. Good luck!

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If it cools down when moving it seems like a airflow issue? Have you verified all of the fans are working? Check the shutters and make sure radiator is cleaned for sure.

onthebrake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue with my 17 Raptor getting hot and turning on the engine fan constantly. I put the 170 F SPD Thermostat, and never had a problem since and the fan never needs to come on anymore.
DONE.