2017 new purchase question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stu

Reaction score
Alright, need the experts input.

I bought a 2017 with 51k miles, one owner, all history etc. It sounded like a diesel on delivery and am now learning it has cam phaser issue, likely IWE, and a bad turbo. The dealer is being great, but should I try and have them take it back? How reliable is the new cam phaser fix? Looks like t his will be the second turbo replacement on this truck, so I am obviously concerned.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get it fixed and check your oil. Sleep well knowing you found a decent dealership. Then enjoy your badass truck.

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the previous owner extend the warranty? If the dealer is making it right for you for free I'd take it and be grateful as they are under no obligation to fix a used car they sold you out of warranty for free.

OP
OP
S

Stu

Reaction score
5 year 60 is still in effect, and I purchased an extended through 75k, now thinking I may need through 100k

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It should have some warranty left. The bumper to bumper is 3 year 36K miles and the powertrain is 5 year 60K miles.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just extended my b2b through 8/100k. My 3/36 is up in May. I’m more afraid of the electronics than the power train.

Kuan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, need the experts input.

I bought a 2017 with 51k miles, one owner, all history etc. It sounded like a diesel on delivery and am now learning it has cam phaser issue, likely IWE, and a bad turbo. The dealer is being great, but should I try and have them take it back? How reliable is the new cam phaser fix? Looks like t his will be the second turbo replacement on this truck, so I am obviously concerned.

I would take that truck back. That is a nasty can of worms. The phaser issue affected many, and no new fix from Ford. Nobody has reported the problem didn't come back. Plus, you have the dreaded plastic oil pan. Get your money back if you can.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I would take that truck back. That is a nasty can of worms. The phaser issue affected many few, and no there is a revised part new fix from Ford. Nobody has reported the problem didn't come back. Of the relatively few people who had the problem, only a small percentage had the problem come back. Plus, you have the dreaded plastic oil pan. Get your money back if you can. Don’t pay attention to my troll posts going forward.

FIFY ;-)

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just extended my b2b through 8/100k. My 3/36 is up in May. I’m more afraid of the electronics than the power train.

Same. Cam phaser not as big a deal as made out to be. Get a GM or Ram truck & trade cam phasers for valve/lifter failures on the DOD hardware- @ least you can keep driving the truck for a good bit w/ the phaser issue if you drop a lifter you could potentially wipe out the cam/top end in the Ram/GM

I got it for the sunroof/infotainment (last GM truck touchscreen/infotainment went dead- thank God for steering wheel controls) & all the other electronics/gadgets/modules + the suspension components if they wear prematurely.

Zero concern on the tranny

Limited/minor concern about engine- turbos/cam phasers - but overall I think these engines are pretty stout. I have 17.5k miles not 1 issue other than some condensation inside a couple of the lil LED’s- fixed under warranty.