2017 motor trashed oil related ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

julien194b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutly no doubt about Cam phaser job is the Only reason of this broken/blown engine ! Who could say different answer ??? 150K miles without any problem , and only 80 miles after "repair" (should say damage) engine is dead. Ford will offer you a new engine , it's maybe the good new of this sad story !
Good luck, enven if you don't need luck bcs it's completly legit you have new engine...

Sunchild714

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After my Can Phaser repair, I immediately changed my oil to the Amsoil Signature Series Synthetic I normally use. I wasn't sure what they put in there and wasn't gonna take any chances.

OP
OP
bogger

bogger

Reaction score
the dealer says they had nothing to do with the failure they only worked in the top end and this was a bottom end failure
and they believe the oil i used may have been inferior and there was a long term issue overheating the motor ,
to look at the brown baked on residue in the motor that would be a fair assessment it looked bad. I used STP full synthetic oil which had the same ratings as other big brands for most of the life of the motor.

BUT.. the oil never looked brown the whole life of the motor it would get blackish near oil change time but never brown and the oil the dealer put in 80 miles before failure looked brand new when i checked it but when the motor went i pulled the stick and it was brown like the inside of the motor which leads to the question can the inside of the motor just turn brown like that if ran for 2 to 5min max after the motor went.

i hope iam not on the bad end of a finger pointing game but we will see what happens, stay tuned, i just wanted to make sure no one else has seen this issue and this motor tends to over heat the oil in these motors and you dont know it till you have to tear them down?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
the dealer says they had nothing to do with the failure they only worked in the top end and this was a bottom end failure
and they believe the oil i used may have been inferior and there was a long term issue overheating the motor ,
to look at the brown baked on residue in the motor that would be a fair assessment it looked bad.

SO... the oil looked bad. AFTER the cam phaser repair.
Where are the pictures of the bad oil that came out of your engine AT THE TIME of the cam phaser repair?

Because any mechanic seeing brown, baked on residue would stop immediately and report the issue.

I am not buying this is a non workmanship issue here, not with the fact set presented.

OP
OP
bogger

bogger

Reaction score
i agree , i only saw the motor from the bottom with the oil pan off ,but the front timing chain cover i would think would have the same residue and nothing was said at the time of the timing chain repair
I know nothing about what is involved with the cam phaser repair to know where they were in the motor working on it.
Iam just waiting to here back from them before i get more involved, i hope they step up and make it right but iam not expecting it.

OP
OP
bogger

bogger

Reaction score
Ford is going to take care of it with a new motor, Nice not to have to fight for everything when things go bad, they have won my business,
I have logged 220k combined miles in a 2011 and 2017 raptors never had one thing go wrong till now. been waiting for my new 22 for 6 months now looks like it will be a 23 before i get it. Best truck going...