2017 motor trashed oil related ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bogger

Reaction score
i just took my 17 in to Ford to have the cam phaser issue repaired at 120,000 miles ( still have warranty with Ford till 150k miles) this was the first time the truck was ever touched it has been the perfect running truck till then..... while there they also put a new timing chain in the motor after seeing it was sloppy, they changed oil in the motor and the tranny and gave the truck back to me, all seemed fine 80 miles down the road the motor looses oil pressure and starts banging, it would idle but anything over 1000 rpm's the banging would get worst.
Trailered it to the dealer that worked on it and they tore the motor down and found main bearings out of it and metal all through the motor and the motor interior was completely brown with baked on oil residue as if the oil was over heated and broke down really bad.
Ford asked for copy of oil change records which i had changed myself at 5000 to 7500 and was driven 70% true highway miles
The truck always had full synthetic 5/30 oil run thru it
I have run this same oil thru many other ford vehicles with more miles than this truck has with no issues unfortunately since the garage changed the oil last i could not have the old oil sent in for analysis to gain more information
Truck never tows anything,

Has anyone else seen this issue in these motors?

at this time iam waiting on Ford to make a decision on how this will be handled

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just took my 17 in to Ford to have the cam phaser issue repaired at 120,000 miles ( still have warranty with Ford till 150k miles) this was the first time the truck was ever touched it has been the perfect running truck till then..... while there they also put a new timing chain in the motor after seeing it was sloppy, they changed oil in the motor and the tranny and gave the truck back to me, all seemed fine 80 miles down the road the motor looses oil pressure and starts banging, it would idle but anything over 1000 rpm's the banging would get worst.
Trailered it to the dealer that worked on it and they tore the motor down and found main bearings out of it and metal all through the motor and the motor interior was completely brown with baked on oil residue as if the oil was over heated and broke down really bad.
Ford asked for copy of oil change records which i had changed myself at 5000 to 7500 and was driven 70% true highway miles
The truck always had full synthetic 5/30 oil run thru it
I have run this same oil thru many other ford vehicles with more miles than this truck has with no issues unfortunately since the garage changed the oil last i could not have the old oil sent in for analysis to gain more information
Truck never tows anything,

Has anyone else seen this issue in these motors?

at this time iam waiting on Ford to make a decision on how this will be handled
If what your saying is true the deal3r should be responsible.

OP
OP
bogger

bogger

Reaction score
they changed the oil in the motor after the cam phaser work and timing chain, i checked the oil to make sure and it was like new, after the bearings burned up i checked it and it was blackish brown like the interior of the motor looked makes me wonder if the bearings going could have caused that burnt color in the motor to appear that quickly.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
THIS scares the crap out of me as my truck goes in for cam phaser surgery Thursday

Trailmaker

Off-road junky
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you are a candidate for a new motor complements of Ford.
I’m at 122,000 currently and have had a phaser rattle now for about 24,000 miles but I’m out of warranty and do not want to pay 3k to fix it. I use Lucas oil additive now to keep it in check. I do my own oil changes as well.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Clearly this is a workmanship related issue; it’s too coincidental that the engine would spin a bearing 80 miles after the repair.

The dealer needs to do a tear down and establish root cause. One of the most common post-repair failures across the industry is over application of silicone sealant. The excess sealant ends clogging the oil pickup and oil galleries, resulting in a lack of lubrication and subsequent engine failure.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
One of the most common post-repair failures across the industry is over application of silicone sealant. The excess sealant ends clogging the oil pickup and oil galleries, resulting in a lack of lubrication and subsequent engine failure.

Man that is just disheartening. Taken out by gasket sealant (basically).
Hopefully they id the issue and stand behind the repair.