2017 lurching in and out of 8th gear after long drive cycle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deblas

Reaction score
So I just picked my truck up from the dealership, having provided them all these details. They flashed the TCM, but gave me a *very* hard time about the modifications I've made to the truck. Specifically, they called out the ADD intercooler I installed, claiming that it is blocking the transmission and A/C radiator and likely caused the issues due to boiling off the fluids. The advisor even said "I'm surprised you even have working A/C."

Now, this doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Transmission overheating was my top hunch, and as I experienced the issue while driving, I checked the gauges and saw only normal temps across the board. The A/C also works like a charm, and has never struggled to cool the cabin.

The advisor also stated that I "must have a tune or other software loaded" because the technician was having an issue accessing the PCM software. I have never installed any tunes on my truck, though I have made changes in ForSCAN. Is this nonsense, or is there something I should look further into?

Anyway, here's hoping that the new TCM software fixes the issue. I won't know till my next long road trip, but I'll update with anything I find out.
I find it interesting that the dealer states “you must have a tune loaded.” Also, if your ADD iniercooler was causing a trans over temp condition, surely they would have seen the codes? But yet again, nothing to support the dealer speculation.

There is so much speculation as to what Ford will or will not see when they connect to the ECM/TCM.
I’ve been led to believe that if you have a tune, this is a definite (not a maybe) issue for the dealer to update the software. I would think the dealer would 100% know there IS a tune on the truck.

Now, the real speculation is if a dealer would be able to tell if a tune HAD been installed.

So, my question to those “in the know”, how is it that this particular dealer is only speculating about a tune?
Does anyone really know what they can determine?

OP
OP
teamster

teamster

Reaction score
I find it interesting that the dealer states “you must have a tune loaded.” Also, if your ADD iniercooler was causing a trans over temp condition, surely they would have seen the codes? But yet again, nothing to support the dealer speculation.

There is so much speculation as to what Ford will or will not see when they connect to the ECM/TCM.
I’ve been led to believe that if you have a tune, this is a definite (not a maybe) issue for the dealer to update the software. I would think the dealer would 100% know there IS a tune on the truck.

Now, the real speculation is if a dealer would be able to tell if a tune HAD been installed.

So, my question to those “in the know”, how is it that this particular dealer is only speculating about a tune?
Does anyone really know what they can determine?
I have the same question - I would certainly know if I intentionally installed a tune, and I find it very hard to believe that an aftermarket shop would install a tune without telling me.

ColoradoBoss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a tune on my truck but removed it prior to taking it in for repairs, I assume they reflashed it when they did the cam phasers but never said anything. I kinda think you should find a different dealer.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You would think it would throw a code to help diagnose. I had a similar issue on my 1993 Lightning . I know 30 years difference E4OD . But it would start shifting hard and acting all kinds of goofy after a long drive . I would disconnect battery and it would be fine until another long drive . It ended up being torque convertor was slipping .

bhuertta

Reaction score
Had a similar issue and noticed that my transmission would jerk back from 8-10 and had the exact same symptoms. Only would happen on long trips as well when I was 3-4 hours in. Resulted the poor shifting was due to my transmission overheating up to 240 and I would get some fluid venting too. Stopped to fill up on gas and the undercarriage was splattered with oil. Had you recently flushed or changed the transmission oil before these events?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Had a similar issue and noticed that my transmission would jerk back from 8-10 and had the exact same symptoms. Only would happen on long trips as well when I was 3-4 hours in. Resulted the poor shifting was due to my transmission overheating up to 240 and I would get some fluid venting too. Stopped to fill up on gas and the undercarriage was splattered with oil. Had you recently flushed or changed the transmission oil before these events?
That’s a symptom of transmission overfill. Was it recently serviced?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I actually have, about 3 weeks ago I did a transmission oil FLUSH not change. And funny how before that I wouldn’t have any issues.
Yep, overfilled. There’s a procedure that needs to be followed to get the fluid level correct; a scan tool is required to monitor Trans Fluid Temp. I would bring it back to whoever did the work and have them correctly set the level.

bhuertta

Reaction score
That’s a symptom of transmission overfill. Was it recently serviced?
I actually have, about 3 weeks ago I did a transmission oil FLUSH not change. And funny how before that I wouldn’t have any issues
Yep, overfilled. There’s a procedure that needs to be followed to get the fluid level correct; a scan tool is required to monitor Trans Fluid Temp. I would bring it back to whoever did the work and have them correctly set the level.
thing is in from Orange County, CA and currently in Zion, Utah. I should be okay driving back if I’m light on the pedal correct? Just keep it under temperature

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I actually have, about 3 weeks ago I did a transmission oil FLUSH not change. And funny how before that I wouldn’t have any issues

thing is in from Orange County, CA and currently in Zion, Utah. I should be okay driving back if I’m light on the pedal correct? Just keep it under temperature
That’s not ideal, but yes; just keep it from getting too hot and venting.