2017 low mileage 30k miles or 2018 50k miles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtgod

Reaction score
Get a 2017 with less miles. Exact same as the 2018. My 2017 with almost 40k miles has been perfect. Just oil changes and a set of tires. Not a single issue. Got 2 buddies with 2017’s as well. No issues.

My AG ‘17 has been bulletproof as well. Hard worker and absolutely zero problems. That number for the high mile ‘18 seems a bit much—if financing, you’ll get a much better rate on new too which would eat up a lot of the difference. Good luck.

dirtgod

Reaction score
I
Glad I didn’t listen to that advice! My 2017 has been the most reliable vehicle I’ve owned. (And I usually buy Lexus)
I usually follow the advice against first model year but just couldn’t wait lol—and thankfully it worked out well

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm.... What payment can you afford???

2017 & 18s are fantastic. Less things to go wrong as well.

MagRapture

Reaction score
I picked up a 19’ 802A in August with a sticker of $75,208 for $68! So I would drop the extra 10k and get a new one. With ZERO problems and the new LIVE WIRE 3.0 Fox’s are AMAZING!

Just for reference, my buddy has a 17’ and it’s been in the shop multiple times for harsh shifting (in normal mode) and they give it back each time saying they can’t replicate it . I even followed him to the dealer offering to let them ride in mine vs. his so they can see the difference, which they declined. Oh, and he only has 38k miles .

Santiago Palacio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Was wondering which you would consider if buying used. I'd like to keep my limit to $55k. It seems dealers are selling 2018 with 50k+ miles with 802 package at around $55k. Has anyone seen prices lower? Do you think 50k miles on a 2018 is excessive? Do 2017 models comprise problems the 2018 fixed? Which would you consider if buying used? Never thought I'd consider a raptor but here I am... was about to pull trigger on a mid grade lariat.

Thanks!
I think 55k for a truck with 50k miles is too much. I got my 17 802a a year ago, with 6k miles for 59k just so you get an idea

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would go for the one that's still in the 3yr-36k warranty phase.

Honestly, the plastic pan isn't that annoying. If it leaks, have ford fix it(warranty).

SSWIM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vast majority of vehicles produced are relatively trouble free for 100-150k, but it goes without saying that the first iteration of a complete redesign is usually a “work in progress” the first few model years & that’s where the manufacturer will start identifying issues that happen in real world longer term use vs. factory testing. Then the little quirks get fixed, TSBs get issued, part #s get upgraded etc etc etc - this isn’t hyperbole, it’s just the way manufacturing works.

I am in the camp that has bought many 1st year iterations. First Gen Expeditions, 1st year Excursion, every new gen Super duty, 3 first Gen Navigators and a few others. Guess I am one of the lucky ones. Always had great luck. Would not hesitate one second to do it again. Matter of fact I am sure I will again real soon.

Sam

avalanchegrey

Reaction score
If the 17 has a plastic pan then I would reconsider the 18.
Never buy the first model year of a vehicle. Ever.

Not quite right for me. Every vehicle I bought is brand new and didn’t have an issue on all of ‘me.
My 2017 have been to rough and tough, now with 38k plus right now and no issue ever at all.