2017 Gen2 Noise underneath

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rkwjunior

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So for a little while now this noise has been getting worse.
Seems to happen more often when its warmed up. sounds like a rattle but it sounds mechanical because i can sort of control it will the gas pedal.
Say driving about 45- 50mph, or really any speed, with foot on the gas just barely trying to maintain speed, i hear this loud rattling, if i pull my foot off, it goes away. Foot back on the pedal slightly accelerating it comes back, If i keep my foot on the gas it keeps making the noise depending on throttle position, and it then stops abruptly on its own without pulling my foot off the gas. It sounds like something made it stop, it sounds almost timed, and i can kind of feel the vibration in the gas pedal. Its pretty loud to, im sure it can be heard by anyone driving past or next to me.
Im not sure how else to explain it.
If i give it some juice it only does it for a second or 2 before it down shifts through the noise.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is a TSB for wastegate rattle on 2017 models. That may be the noise that you are hearing. If it’s IWE related, put it in 4A as nikhsub1 mentioned and see if the noise goes away.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is a TSB for wastegate rattle on 2017 models. That may be the noise that you are hearing. If it’s IWE related, put it in 4A as nikhsub1 mentioned and see if the noise goes away.

What's the approx cost for this if you're out of warranty? Is there any issue with just leaving it be?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What's the approx cost for this if you're out of warranty? Is there any issue with just leaving it be?
Labor time is 1.9 hours, the spring kit is $19.83 retail price. I don’t think it would cause any issues if you don’t have the repair performed, per the bulletin it’s just a noise concern.

OP
OP
R

rkwjunior

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For real? It's one of the 4WD settings - it's 4 automatic (sort of acts like AWD). There is a round nob to the right of the steering wheel - 2A, 4A, 4Hi, 4LO - put it in 4A when it's making noise and see if it goes away when in 4A.
I got the new check valve Assembly, no more noise.
Thanks for everyone's help