2017 Ford Raptor - Front end belt tapping noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chm612s

Reaction score
Good Morning!

I am looking for some help as I currently have an awesome 2017 Ford Raptor, however, not wanting to drive it....do to having a front end belt tapping noise issue. I bought the truck last yr with 4200 miles on it from a local dealer. I currently have 13900. I am still in the 3 yr / 36000 warranty and have been to the dealership 4 separate times for this issue without resolution. The dealership has agreed...that there is a noise...not normal (I had to get them to drive another 2017 as they first told me that this noise is normal) however, can not isolate to resolve. Thus far nothing has been removed or replaced....other than the drive train belt?? was re-adjusted??

I have since escalated to the dealership's service manager (he was the one who stated..yes, there is an issue after driving it with him) and also opened up a case number with Ford's Customer Care Hotline and currently waiting for next step. I love the truck but shouldn't have to be dealing with this....esp as much as I paid for it. Yes, great being in factory warranty but not when they can't find the issue. Frustrated at this point is an understatement....to say the least.

I can reproduce the noise at any giving time...frustrated as not sure why the dealer cant fix it!. Here are some examples/symptoms of the issue and any feedback/recommendations would be appreciated:

This noise is a belt tapping noise....that ONLY happens when in drive or reverse and ONLY occurs when stopped or if you brake torque it (having brake engaged in drive or reverse...and barely touching the gas pedal....it makes a tapping noise ONLY at front passenger side of engine bay...ONLY hear it inside and not outside). It sounds like it tapping noise against the firewall 3-5 times...then stops...Sometimes louder than normal and other times...no noise at all?!?

The noise occurs in both 2wd and 4wd.

Does not matter if cold or hot. does all the time in D or R.

I can also get that belt tapping noise to occur in drive or reverse on a 3% incline/decline....leaving the truck in gear (D or R)and barely engage the gas petal and that noise occurs. Torque convertor?

Only occurs at a stop or when barely starting off from a stop...then goes away until you stop again and engage gas pedal.

I have all power...shifts fine...no other issues at this time other than being frustrated!

Any help/feedback/recommendations would be very appreciated!!!

Regards,
Chris

OP
OP
C

chm612s

Reaction score
Good morning
Any thoughts on this? Issue is still occurs and dealer has acknowledged issue...but still cant isolate to fix...

Been dealing w issue for approximately 3 months...been into dealer...4 times now....getting ready to go back...

When is it time to talk ...dont give back until resolved or trading back??

Apparently per ford customer care...stated dealer requested svt team engineer support.

Thanks

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’d suspect something is contacting intermittently when the engine torques.

can you stick a go pro or similar in the engine compartment and see what that shows? You may have to try this several times until you hit pay dirt.