2017 Ford F150 Shelby 750HP or 2018 Ford F150 Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
Hello everyone I like to hear everyone's thoughts on these 2 vehicles? I'm not the crazy off road guy.. Atleast not yet.

Perhaps hitting some dirt here and there mainly I'm on road kind of guy.. I do love that sound of the v8 though.. So should I get thr Shelby instead of the Raptor?

Gosh I'm really confused and new to the truck world. A bit of fyi I'm the sport car guy and this is my first truck.

Help?

Go with the ROUSH SC F150. That is the best option that allows for offroad and performance.
http://www.roushperformance.com/vehicles/2017-roush-f-150-sc.html

Last edited:

CatchMeOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TBH, I had the exact same dilemma. I was more interested in power and speed, than hardcore offroad capability. I went and test drove the Roush F150 right before the Gen 2 Raptors were out. I really do not like the look of the trucks, so I narrowed it down to 2 options: 1. Buy an XLT/Lariat F150 and add the Roush Supercharger and exhaust system myself for about $10k OR 2. Buy a G2 Raptor.

I ended up going with the Raptor, mainly because of the looks...but honestly some days I wish I went for the supercharged 5.0 instead. If I were you, I would go that route and get a 650hp monster with an awesome exhaust note and factory warranty, and save the $15-20k extra that the Raptor costs. You will still have some offroad capability with the normal F150, which seems to be adequate for your needs. There are many dealers that will install the SC and exhaust for you, so that you can include them in your loan if that's what you want. Hope that helps.

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

My brother has this truck, first one was a lemon, second one AC keeps going out. I'd pass.

The A/C has nothing to do with it being Roush or not; that's a Ford component. Same parts that are used on the Raptor. Not sure what other issues he had with his first truck, but I have not heard many bad things about Roush products. They are generally well-engineered and developed hand in hand with Ford.

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TBH, I had the exact same dilemma. I was more interested in power and speed, than hardcore offroad capability. I went and test drove the Roush F150 right before the Gen 2 Raptors were out. I really do not like the look of the trucks, so I narrowed it down to 2 options: 1. Buy an XLT/Lariat F150 and add the Roush Supercharger and exhaust system myself for about $10k OR 2. Buy a G2 Raptor.

I ended up going with the Raptor, mainly because of the looks...but honestly some days I wish I went for the supercharged 5.0 instead. If I were you, I would go that route and get a 650hp monster with an awesome exhaust note and factory warranty, and save the $15-20k extra that the Raptor costs. You will still have some offroad capability with the normal F150, which seems to be adequate for your needs. There are many dealers that will install the SC and exhaust for you, so that you can include them in your loan if that's what you want. Hope that helps.

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

The A/C has nothing to do with it being Roush or not; that's a Ford component. Same parts that are used on the Raptor. Not sure what other issues he had with his first truck, but I have not heard many bad things about Roush products. They are generally well-engineered and developed hand in hand with Ford.

Well it does and it doesn't. Roush built the truck, the AC failed and it has directly to do with the SC pulley system. That came directly from the ford tech. Now the first truck had a slew of issue, namely the motor started to tap early in its life and eventually letting go. No need to defend a brand on this, it was a POS. May just have slipped through the cracks but I wouldn't own one. They are overpriced.

CatchMeOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it does and it doesn't. Roush built the truck, the AC failed and it has directly to do with the SC pulley system. That came directly from the ford tech. Now the first truck had a slew of issue, namely the motor started to tap early in its life and eventually letting go. No need to defend a brand on this, it was a POS. May just have slipped through the cracks but I wouldn't own one. They are overpriced.

I have absolutely no reason to defend the brand, I have never purchased any products from them. I am going solely based on what I have read and heard from others (also I have a good friend who works there and I have seen the quality of his work).

I was not aware of the details of the AC system failure, or the engine knock. Both can be linked to the Roush components though, as you originally posted. My apologies.

I still don't know if it would alter my decision to install a Roush SC on my own truck though...assuming all of the work was done by myself or a trustworthy mechanic. Perhaps those were isolated instances?

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have absolutely no reason to defend the brand, I have never purchased any products from them. I am going solely based on what I have read and heard from others (also I have a good friend who works there and I have seen the quality of his work).

I was not aware of the details of the AC system failure, or the engine knock. Both can be linked to the Roush components though, as you originally posted. My apologies.

I still don't know if it would alter my decision to install a Roush SC on my own truck though...assuming all of the work was done by myself or a trustworthy mechanic. Perhaps those were isolated instances?

Here is the good part, it has the standard 3/36 warranty so worst case scenario on that particular truck you aren't up shit creek. If you were installing the SC kit only on say a plat or lariat I would be cautious, and its not because I don't like Roush i have just seen this other side. I like my brothers truck it def looks good and pulls hard but the problems seem endless for some reason.

dlbb

Full Access Member
Reaction score