2014 SCREW loaded, totaled today, WWYD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastEddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FRF its been awhile. So I have a 2014 Black SCREW loaded: 801A, power moon roof, cameras, beadlocks, spray in bedliner, tonneau, stripper pole, etc. Some limited mods, a number of BD lights, some other goodies and somewhat murdered out. 30k miles, and in great shape.

Last Thursday, I'm in stop and go traffic on the thruway and get rear ended by some b!$*# doing about 50. She was in a BMW X3 that folded up like an accordion. The rear bumper, tailgate, bed and frame of the raptor are all fairly mangled. Front bumper screwed as well, as I got pushed into a Chevy Colorado in front of me (which then got pushed into a Honda and rear ended it). Others were in the Raptor and they are all ok, but now my back hurts, and I hope its not serious.

So today the insurance co calls and tells me that they are totaling the vehicle and offer me $50k appraised value + $3k sales tax, so $53k total for the raptor. They tell me the aftermarket lights and other stuff really doesn't affect value. Apparently they got three comparables from dealer lots in the general area. I'm in northern NJ. Is that a fair buyout? Seems it to me, but what say you FRF?

Idleone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like a legit price. However those aftermarket items do add value to your vehicle as you are a claimant in this situation. Gather your receipts and demand they add them to the appraiasal. Both Mitchell and CCC evaluation tools add value for items such as this. If the parts are not damaged you could always box them up and mail em to me. good luck

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
damn eddie. glad you are ok. it seems a fair price, but i would check to see how much your policy covers aftermarket equipment. most poilices have $1k - $1.5k coverage on aftermarket parts unless you add the additional coverage

OP
OP
F

FastEddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my insurance co (let's say their spokesmodel is named Flo) apparently has a reputation as not a great claim payer, and the other driver has a commercial policy with supposedly high limits and the company apparently has a better claim paying reputation (let's say they have a red umbrella as their logo). So I went thru them since its 100% accepted as her fault. That red umbrella company is saying that given the accessories are used and now 4 years old, there just isn't much value to them. I have probably about $4k or so in BD lights and install and related that I put in at the time of purchase in 2014. The insurance co told me I could pull them off for all they care. I think they would still work. I'd also pull out my ham radio, hardwired radar detector and dashcam as there is no reason to leave those in a salvage car. I can check my company and see what they will say.

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that, I'm glad you are OK, but I'd definitely get your back checked out, (MRI/X-Rays). It may need treatment later on and you will need proof. (Ask me how I know). Did the BMW owner survive?
I agree that the price seems fair after looking around for a truck for my daughter. (She bought a GMC :mad:). Also, since the insurance company offered, I'd take away all you can: lights, radio, camera, radar detector, battery, jack, spare tire, beadlock wheels (leave it on HF stands), etc.
Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

Last edited:

Snowsled

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also GO TO THE DOCTOR, and have your back looked at. ANY injury on your part will result in a MUCH larger settlement.

My young son was run off the road by a UPS driver, witnesses and all. He rolled the truck. He went in and even though he checked out OK, the $1600 doctor visit netted him an additional $8000 in settlement money. Since he was a minor, the adjuster had to deal with me. 8 grand was the first offer, I took it as I do not consider myself a completely greedy a-hole.

If you were indeed injured and required several visits to heal up your back, it could end up being well worth your time.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
since it wasnt your fault, they should be replacing everything returning you to before the accident. tell them to replace it if they dont want to pay out. but usually when not at fault and the other persons insurance should be paying.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
First, I’m glad you’re ok enough to type this.

Go get your back checked out ASAP. Under stress your body will dump adrenalin that can mask immediate pain, but when it wears off you could be in serious pain. It’s not worth finding out the hard way.

I got spit off my bike some years back and landed badly on my leg. No break, and I was in full gear, so after a quick assessment, no bones through the skin I got the bike upright, did a quick inspection and rode home. It was 2 miles at about 35mph. I got the kickstand down and realized my other leg wasn’t moving. oops. call neighbor, get to ER, ration of tests, checks, no damaged hard parts. therapy for a few weeks, new gear, some new body parts for the bike. I swore I was fine when I got up.

53k doesn’t sound horrible but the one thing that sticks out to me is that you’re only sporting 30k miles. Still, at almost 5 model years old it sounds like ball park to me. If you’re able, definitely pull the aftermarket parts.

good luck.

OP
OP
F

FastEddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the concern guys. A bit more info and updates.

I did notice that the discussion with several of the professionals involved (cop, fireman, medics, insurance appraiser, bodyshop) was very similar, along these lines:
1. What happened?
2. Wow, that's some damage...
3. Well the truck did what is was engineered to do in accident. It crumpled in the rear and protected the passengers. The cab was nearly intact except for one place where the bed corner was twisted and pushed up against it. Similarly the woman's BMW X3 front folded up like an accordion absorbing the blow. She was able to walk away.

I went to the ER right from the accident and they did x-rays and did not find any breaks. They said there would be pain from the accident that would increase once the adrenaline wore off, and prescribed some meds. I've been only taking the milder meds so I'm not too wacked out. I made an appointment with a GP to have another examination as the pain is continuing.

I did consult a personal injury attorney who was recommended to me, and he advised that in NJ where I live, that personal injury from accidents must be at a pretty high level in order to sue. Apparently there are only several allowed types of personal injuries from accidents to sue, things like: blindness, loss of limb, miscarriage, etc. If the Dr. visits shows anything more severe, I will be back to him, but his view was I don't have any ability to sue. I'm not happy with that answer but not sure if I can do anything.

On the appraisal, the insurance co used CCC and he told me they had a + $6k adjustment for low miles and good condition built into the estimate. Their appraisal seems generally fair to me and based on responses it seems fair as well. I am a bit concerned about the lack of credit for any aftermarket items however. I do have receipts and already provided them to the appraiser. I plan to go back to my insurance co on this point and see if they have any suggestions for how to recoup that. If not, then I may just try to pull everything off.