2014 SCAB Roush Q's & What to expect?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rappedtor

Reaction score
TL : DR - Very Clean 14' Roush. Good Deal? Roush performed install? Bad resale value?
1. 45K miles Ruby Red with 801 options. SuperCab $42k --> negotiating $44K truck+tax+warranty.
Has damage to front reported on carfax, no accidents. Didn't see evidence of damage at dealer.

2. Roush package, no Roush badge or plaque. No Roush embroidery on headrest nor side decals. Has Roush emissions compliance sticker under hood.

Hey guys, I'll likely making the purchase in the next 7 days on a 2014 Ruby Red Super Cab with Roush setup. Unfortunately the dealer doesn't have any paperwork on the Roush setup so I'm not sure if it is a stage/phase 1 or 2. It isn't a huge deal for me as I plan on getting the JDM upgrade kit. Looks like the pulley, throttle body, and tune are the only difference? Overall after the test drive I realized there is a whole lot more truck to be had with the JDM tune from what I've read here on the forums. Went Wide open throttle from 20-70mph and was surprised with how mediocre it was and how hard the shifting is with the Roush Tune. Definitely noticed the sluggish throttle response problem as well.

CarFax is showing no accidents but damage to the front of vehicle. Has 45K Miles.

Looking forward to getting active in this forum, been a follower for several months.

Any insight is greatly appreciated here, this will be my first expensive vehicle purchase. I chose the raptor for many reasons and lack of depreciation is my personal justification for finally buying one of these long desired beauties.

-Mike

Last edited:

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
1. Make sure if it has a tuner you get it. Since it was installed after the fact and either went with the roush base tune or installed and tuned by others. May be a flashed ecu if it is the stage 1 tune. Wonder if the plugs were done.

2. Double/triple check the front end. Have you gone underneath? Valence looks straight?

3. Warranty won't cover the engine, if they can prove the blower caused it. Could you ask to do a compression test/pay for it? Not common per say, but just to make sure the last guy didn't abuse/hurt it and then trade it in. Not trying to make you second guess it in anyway. These trucks are stout with superchargers. (Installed a Roush on my terrain supercab years back and had a lot of fun). Have a buddy with a Roush Raptor with over 100k miles and no issues.
Weak spot is the oil pump gear.

OP
OP
Rappedtor

Rappedtor

Reaction score
1. Make sure if it has a tuner you get it. Since it was installed after the fact and either went with the roush base tune or installed and tuned by others. May be a flashed ecu if it is the stage 1 tune. Wonder if the plugs were done.

2. Double/triple check the front end. Have you gone underneath? Valence looks straight?

3. Warranty won't cover the engine, if they can prove the blower caused it. Could you ask to do a compression test/pay for it? Not common per say, but just to make sure the last guy didn't abuse/hurt it and then trade it in. Not trying to make you second guess it in anyway. These trucks are stout with superchargers. (Installed a Roush on my terrain supercab years back and had a lot of fun). Have a buddy with a Roush Raptor with over 100k miles and no issues.
Weak spot is the oil pump gear.

Here is a link https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/1FTFX1R62EFA26784/2014-ford-f-150/

1. I will ask the dealership if they have a tuner but they dont seem to know very much at all about the roush setup, they didnt even know it wasn't authentic till I had them punch in the VIN on Roushperformance.com Vin Search. The previous owner didn't give the dealership any documentation on the roush upgrade so all the dealer says is that "its a beast" when I ask for more info on the roush kit installed.

2. I went underneath the truck and did not see anything out of the ordinary but I honestly didn't know what I should have been looking for in particular. I was just checking for irregularities. The valance appears normal.

3. Very good to know about the warranty. I wonder if the supercharger will also void any transmission issues as well.
I'm glad that you are bringing these points up as they are absolutely essential to not paying out the nose for a lemon.
From the reviews I've been reading on the dealership, their service department is horrible and they steal money on the warranties because in the long run they essential cover nothing. It's looking like the roush kit will likely void much of the warranty options but I will read through them thoroughly and ask a few questions to hopefully get some honest answers.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here is a link https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/1FTFX1R62EFA26784/2014-ford-f-150/

1. I will ask the dealership if they have a tuner but they dont seem to know very much at all about the roush setup, they didnt even know it wasn't authentic till I had them punch in the VIN on Roushperformance.com Vin Search. The previous owner didn't give the dealership any documentation on the roush upgrade so all the dealer says is that "its a beast" when I ask for more info on the roush kit installed.

2. I went underneath the truck and did not see anything out of the ordinary but I honestly didn't know what I should have been looking for in particular. I was just checking for irregularities. The valance appears normal.

3. Very good to know about the warranty. I wonder if the supercharger will also void any transmission issues as well.
I'm glad that you are bringing these points up as they are absolutely essential to not paying out the nose for a lemon.
From the reviews I've been reading on the dealership, their service department is horrible and they steal money on the warranties because in the long run they essential cover nothing. It's looking like the roush kit will likely void much of the warranty options but I will read through them thoroughly and ask a few questions to hopefully get some honest answers.

1. I want to say if the previous owner ordered from Roush/authorized dealer then there may be no tuner as the ECU was shipped off and flashed for the "canned" tune.

2. Yea it's a tough situation that I would just want to fine comb search the front end. Might of been very minor but went through insurance for a new bumper for example.

3. It could. From experience you can have mod friendly dealers and ones that will try to void the warranty over a K&N filter lol.
Will this be a Ford ESP warranty or some third party?
Definitely try for an ford one, but get it online. Way cheaper unless you want to throw it into the loan*. Can try to negotiate the price of the warranty down too. Dealership will have to prove the extra power caused the failure, therefore the warranty is voided for that part. etc.
I've read the roush tune isn't that great for shifting but you just want to feel comfortable it's a tune issue and not a mechanical issue for example.

Truck looks good. Prefer the OEM flare grey look but the paint looks clean.

OP
OP
Rappedtor

Rappedtor

Reaction score
John, I really appreciate the help! I'm excited and nervous all at the same time because today is maximum leverage day for me since it's new years eve.

2. They did send the truck out for inspection to a ford dealership, but I feel the same way about reported front damage. It could have been minor but due to the nature of these trucks, who knows what this guy did. The salesman said the previous owner was a guy in his 50s that stated the truck was never off-roaded and then traded the truck in for a dodge power wagon but who knows what the truth is. This is the slimiest sales people I've ever talked to so I'm being cautious.

3. I'll start looking into online warranties instead as I've read too many horror story reviews on the scams this dealership has run on people.

I actually like the red flares haha, but hey different strokes for different folks.

As of now I'm pretty sure I should be trying to walk away with the truck at around $40-41k without warranty then.
The value of a 14' SCAB at 45k miles seems to be in the $35-37k range. Taxes will be approx. $3800

Matt Delro

Reaction score
Buy it before someone else grabs it; I had 3 Raptors sell before I could get to the lot, all in the same week!
Good luck, lowest mileage I’ve seen, at least in my area.

OP
OP
Rappedtor

Rappedtor

Reaction score
Hey Matt, I had two raptors already sell from underneath me in the past two weeks alone. Both were Roush with less than 40k miles. They were both priced at 40k and 42k.

I appreciate the extra push brother!

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
John, I really appreciate the help! I'm excited and nervous all at the same time because today is maximum leverage day for me since it's new years eve.

2. They did send the truck out for inspection to a ford dealership, but I feel the same way about reported front damage. It could have been minor but due to the nature of these trucks, who knows what this guy did. The salesman said the previous owner was a guy in his 50s that stated the truck was never off-roaded and then traded the truck in for a dodge power wagon but who knows what the truth is. This is the slimiest sales people I've ever talked to so I'm being cautious.

3. I'll start looking into online warranties instead as I've read too many horror story reviews on the scams this dealership has run on people.

I actually like the red flares haha, but hey different strokes for different folks.

As of now I'm pretty sure I should be trying to walk away with the truck at around $40-41k without warranty then.
The value of a 14' SCAB at 45k miles seems to be in the $35-37k range. Taxes will be approx. $3800

Cant speak for the Roush...but its a GEN 1,so half the battle is won...I also have the 2014 SCAB with now 59K on it....and the Whipple SC,and I'm loving every minute of it...bought in same price range as yours with 50K on it....bought site unseen,private,and had it transported...best vehicle and deal ever for me....
Might want to bring it to an local shop that does PPI's if your serious about pulling the trigger...its only a $75 or so expense and worth the piece of mind...NO way would I trust the dealers report....especially since yours is a slimeball///LOL...most are "nice" guys...but all are slimeballs when it comes to making the $$....
As far as looking into an online warranty....good luck...been down that road already and no one is gonna touch it with a SC on it....and even if they did,they will use that to get out of ANY engine problems.....but if you find an "honest"HAHAHAHA co. Post it...I'd love to see it....
Now...go buy the damn thing....if it checks out you will not be sorry.!!!
Happy 2020

OP
OP
Rappedtor

Rappedtor

Reaction score
Hey Ricoman,

I like the idea of having a third part inspection, most places are closed today but I'll try and schedule one asap. Overall the dealership is not making it easy to acquire this truck and just keeps forcing me to sign before informing me of any pertinent info. The dealership gave me a call back and tried to get me to sign even before providing their own inspection results and said that the service department has an active repair order on it. Im assuming it is to get new tires & or brakes on the truck.

Im dead serious about pulling the trigger, just want to make sure my eyes arent closed off to anything before doing so.

Yeah man, these guys are as slimy as it gets. Went ahead and read the reviews on this place and there were over 100 1-star reviews of customers that used the exact words "lie, cheat, & steal". When on the phone with the sales manager, he actually said "I dont have to lie, cheat, or steal to sell a truck this nice" . I never mentioned the review content to him.

Priceless