GEN 1 2014 Raptor rear diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Alar

Alar

Reaction score
So I need to check the turning torque of pinion? Pinion nut torque does not matter? Just asking so I would get the whole picture. English is not my native language so explain it as simple as possible :D

And what happens when I over torque the nut and bearings? Increased wear? Oil overheating?

Too bad we have huge time differnece. I would have needed all that info 12 hours ago when I had my Raptor lifted up and we were trying to fix the problem to the best of our knowledge... If we overtorqued then the bearings are damaged now for sure. No whine, or grind yet tho. Should I open it up again, or leave it be for now, but order a set of new bearings?

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I need to check the turning torque of pinion? Pinion nut torque does not matter? Just asking so I would get the whole picture. English is not my native language so explain it as simple as possible :D

Could have fooled me!

Correct, you’ll need to check rotating torque using a beam (Needle) style torque wrench. Attach the torque wrench to your pinion nut socket and rotate the pinion at a steady speed while observing the reading from the pointer. The actual torque of the pinion nut itself does not matter.

And what happens when I over torque the nut and bearings? Increased wear? Oil overheating?

Too bad we have huge time differnece. I would have needed all that info 12 hours ago when I had my Raptor lifted up and we were trying to fix the problem to the best of our knowledge... If we overtorqued then the bearings are damaged now for sure. No whine, or grind yet tho. Should I open it up again, or leave it be for now, but order a set of new bearings?

Yes, if they are over torqued the bearings and oil can overheat, resulting in damage. I would open it up and visually inspect the bearing rollers, cages, and races for any signs of flat spotting, discoloration, pitting, delamination, or binding. If the bearings don’t show signs of damage you may be able to reuse them following the proper torque procedure. I’d still recommend replacing the crush sleeve if possible, and definitely use a new pinion nut.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTRaptor20