2014 raptor, no mods, 26,000 miles, miss fire issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rwelker

Reaction score
Miss fire issue only when I put the pedal to the floor. When it did it last time, dealer said it was cylinder 7. Dealer suggest coil replacement, said it was a common issue. This last week did it again, dealer said it was number 3 cylinder.

A friend suggested since I don’t drive it, it could be the fuel, and suggested fuel treatment.

I can drive this truck as fast as I like 1/2 throttle, 3/4 throttle, as long as I don’t shove the pedal to the floor.

I still have the original plugs and wires. And other than changing the oil annually. I really haven’t done much with it. Most of the miles I put on the truck was within the first 3 years I had it.

Any suggestion on if the other oils and lubes need to be changed now due to how old the truck is?

HighHP

Reaction score
The higher the compression or charge in the cylinder the higher the voltage needed for the spark to jump the spark plug gap. It is common for failing ignition components to operate fine at the lower voltage required at less than full throttle. But, then have voltage breakdown prior to sparking the plug at full throttle. Usually, this would be tied to old systems or systems with higher miles. Indeed it could be coil internal short or breakdown. To large a spark plug gap can cause this as well.
Keep us posted on the cure.

Last edited:

mprice1234

Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
I have a 2010 6.2 with 19,000 miles on it and I have no issues when I tromp on the pedal, I would think maybe you got some bad fuel. Run your tank down and then refill with a top tier gas and run that for a bit and see if that's it. Easiest thing to try before you jump in to replacing parts.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Miss fire issue only when I put the pedal to the floor. When it did it last time, dealer said it was cylinder 7. Dealer suggest coil replacement, said it was a common issue. This last week did it again, dealer said it was number 3 cylinder.

A friend suggested since I don’t drive it, it could be the fuel, and suggested fuel treatment.

I can drive this truck as fast as I like 1/2 throttle, 3/4 throttle, as long as I don’t shove the pedal to the floor.

I still have the original plugs and wires. And other than changing the oil annually. I really haven’t done much with it. Most of the miles I put on the truck was within the first 3 years I had it.

Any suggestion on if the other oils and lubes need to be changed now due to how old the truck is?
I agree with the friend, BG44K is what the local ford dealer recommends and something I have personally used for many years. A vehicle that is not driven much is prone to this type of issue, gasoline can go bad(- octane) rather quickly depending on conditions, ethanol attracts moisture.

John Harshaw

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my 2014, but at 86k miles. Called my dealership to schedule an appointment and they couldn't get me in for 3 weeks. I explained the problem to my service supervisor. He recommended checking the coil packs by getting a squirt bottle and shooting each coil. Bad/leaking coils will arc and you will be able to see it in the shade/dark. Replaced the coils that arced with OEM coil packs. Problem solved.

HighHP

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my 2014, but at 86k miles. Called my dealership to schedule an appointment and they couldn't get me in for 3 weeks. I explained the problem to my service supervisor. He recommended checking the coil packs by getting a squirt bottle and shooting each coil. Bad/leaking coils will arc and you will be able to see it in the shade/dark. Replaced the coils that arced with OEM coil packs. Problem solved.
I assume squirt with water ???

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would probably put some fresh fuel in it like @mprice1234 said and run it for a week. Fuel today is crap and goes off in 10-14 days.
You may have to make it your daily for a week and get some time on it. I would start there before throwing parts at it.

That said, the coils will degrade over time and have been known to arc through the side of the plastic. You could pull the coil in question and yank the rubber isolator off the bottom to pull out the pellet and spring. If there is any corrosion on it, you have condensation and that can cause the arcing too.