2014 Raptor - Hard rain = rough idle / won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phrozen755

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Found a few threads on this specific issue before, and it's not the fuel control module by the rear axel, I think it may be something specifically getting wet in the engine bay due to the cowl openings.

I popped the hood (thankfully it limped home) and it looked like water was coming in on the driver side vent, where those connections are (by the coolant overflow tank). I have been googling to find any specifics but no one seems to really clearly identify known causes on other forums / websites.

What would suck, is if I have to block off that vent opening to prevent water getting on things. Makes me really wonder why even bother with the opening in the hood at all, if the water is getting into the bay like that to begin with.

Anyway, figured I'd start a new thread on it seeings how it's september and raining like hell up here in the northeast (and very humid) and hopefully get any at all new clues I can go off on, rather than going through each connection and seeing which is which.

Should be noted after when I got it home, turned it off (it was still raining just not as hard) it would start and immediately want to die, even applying gas to keep the rpms up. No codes on the dash are there, but I could see if something was logged with a scanner later on tonight.

On dry days, it runs perfectly fine. On humid mornings there's a little bit more pronounced of a stutter when she kicks over, but she evens out, which I wasn't concerned about.

Appreciate any discussion on this, I'll be continuing the battle tomorrow (more rain inbound) and she needs to get back on the road.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Found a few threads on this specific issue before, and it's not the fuel control module by the rear axel, I think it may be something specifically getting wet in the engine bay due to the cowl openings.

I popped the hood (thankfully it limped home) and it looked like water was coming in on the driver side vent, where those connections are (by the coolant overflow tank). I have been googling to find any specifics but no one seems to really clearly identify known causes on other forums / websites.

What would suck, is if I have to block off that vent opening to prevent water getting on things. Makes me really wonder why even bother with the opening in the hood at all, if the water is getting into the bay like that to begin with.

Anyway, figured I'd start a new thread on it seeings how it's september and raining like hell up here in the northeast (and very humid) and hopefully get any at all new clues I can go off on, rather than going through each connection and seeing which is which.

Should be noted after when I got it home, turned it off (it was still raining just not as hard) it would start and immediately want to die, even applying gas to keep the rpms up. No codes on the dash are there, but I could see if something was logged with a scanner later on tonight.

On dry days, it runs perfectly fine. On humid mornings there's a little bit more pronounced of a stutter when she kicks over, but she evens out, which I wasn't concerned about.

Appreciate any discussion on this, I'll be continuing the battle tomorrow (more rain inbound) and she needs to get back on the road.
Sounds like you are ingesting something into the intake. Do you have an aftermarket intake? I would check the air intake hose and fittings to make sure they are tight. Check the air filter, make sure it is dry. Make sure the mass air flow sensor is plugged in and ok.

I doubt there is an issue with the hood lovers. There are guys who have even widened the small factory opening with little to no issues.

Stay dry and keep us posted.

@Yukon Joe
[emoji830][emoji830][emoji830][emoji830][emoji830]♡♡♡[emoji830][emoji830][emoji830][emoji830][emoji830]
Donate to a fellow raptor owner
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?p=1286274

OP
OP
P

phrozen755

Reaction score
Figured I'd give an update.

Well, I have 37''s on the truck, they chewed through a vac line for the 4x4 on the front left tire (which soon there after gave into an issue with my 4x4 engager making a hell of a noise being "half open"). I haven't had an issue since I replaced the line and routed it properly to give clearance for the rubber. So ... that seemingly fixed that issue (I have had no problems starting the truck after a hard rain since).

KB_45

Reaction score
Hey sorry to resurrect an old post, I am just having nearly identical issues to what phrozen encountered and not finding much info out there. During hard rain, the truck is hard to start and has loss of power with occasional stalling. When started up in a light rain it stutters for a bit but eventually evens out. Cleaned the MAS tonight with electrical contact cleaner thinking it or the CAI was the problem. Going to see if it helps in the morning. Wondering if the issue has stayed away since repairing that vacuum line? I will definitely check those now and see if any are damaged.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its probably the pcm. its on the passenger side firewall. if theres a leak in the seal and it gets wet, truck will run like crap. vacuum lines for 4wd wont cause the issue you are having. just makes noise. ake a garden hose and turn it on light and get the pcm wet. see if you go into limp mode

KB_45

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Nosbusa! I'm with you on the vacuum line.. seemed pretty unrelated lol. I will definitely give the PCM a try tonight and see what happens! Appreciate the guidance.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Nosbusa! I'm with you on the vacuum line.. seemed pretty unrelated lol. I will definitely give the PCM a try tonight and see what happens! Appreciate the guidance.

You should only spray the MAF sensor with MAF senor spray only!!!

You can use the electric contact spray on the three plugs on the passenger side (PCM)
Unplug and clean each one inside and the back of the plugs. Ford does a ****** job of taping them up. (Fix that, LOL)

Also check all the battery connections from battery terminals to Starter, they are known to corrode and or get loose.