2014 Gen I vs. 2017 Gen II Suspension Impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

window2time

Reaction score
So how do we fix the rear end hop? Are Deaver springs available yet. I love everything else about my Raptor but need a fix to the rear end hop.

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good read for Motor Trend's impressions and Opinions based on A LOT of driving with these three trucks: Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 vs. Ford F-150 Raptor vs. Ram 2500 Power Wagon

Also, if you find the embedded video a little ways down the page...and skip to 4:55... ;-)

IMO - that read was way too long. Writer likes excessive words....
Dodge Power Wagon was best choice.
Next Chevy Colorado
Last was Raptor due to wheel hop and the back end coming loose too often. Writer expected Raptor to be first.

It should be noted though - the Ram 2500 Power Wagon should be listed as either a heavy half or light 3/4, maybe even listed as Ram 2000. It's payload is very,very light compared to other 3/4 tons. Granted a specialty truck, but a buddy almost just boght one, luckily realized it couldn't handle payload he was planning.

• 2500 Power Wagon - ~1466 lbs
  • Raptor - ~1,000-1,200 lbs. (SCAB-SCREW)
  • Colorado - ~1,242 - 1,581 lbs.
  • F250 - ~3,305 - 4,267 lbs
  • Ram 2500 - 1,466-3,060
  • Chevy 2500 - 2,967-3,559
Smallest truck shows to have best possible payload. But even at that Power wagon isn't even half of other 3/4 tons.

Couldn't find the video and the ones I could had no timers.

Wonder if it would've helped if they put the two failed tires in the back of the Raptor. Also be interesting to know what tire pressure they were running on the Raptor.

Last edited:

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
I'd bet the pressures were too high on the Raptor, as has been said here already. Also maybe for Motor Trend the Power wagon was the best choice. No reason to get upset about these tests. In the dirt bike world they have shootouts all the time and even if your brand doesn't win, it doesn't mean you're not still getting an amazing bike if you don't buy the winner.

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd bet the pressures were too high on the Raptor, as has been said here already. Also maybe for Motor Trend the Power wagon was the best choice. No reason to get upset about these tests. In the dirt bike world they have shootouts all the time and even if your brand doesn't win, it doesn't mean you're not still getting an amazing bike if you don't buy the winner.

Agreed and not upset. It's just too bad some further details weren't given. Granted experience might tell one to air down, then on the other side if all tires were aired up to max psi on all vehicles a fair test. Crazy though how such a simple fix (air down) can make the Raptor drive so much better!

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Agreed and not upset. It's just too bad some further details weren't given. Granted experience might tell one to air down, then on the other side if all tires were aired up to max psi on all vehicles a fair test. Crazy though how such a simple fix (air down) can make the Raptor drive so much better!

Raptors seem to like the weight of a couple of spares in the bed too. Ford wants the rear end to be a bit lively so that you'll get that trailing throttle oversteer that's so much fun in the dirt.