2014 Gen I vs. 2017 Gen II Suspension Impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I owned a Gen1 put about 86k miles on it, and now have a Gen 2 with about 1k miles on it. First impressions obviously is power and comfort, the Gen 2 is better. To the point of the bouncy semi sway on bumps. I have felt it on my longer trips. I have done 2, 4 hour trips in the 17 and over some bridges and just a few other places it does have a little bounce but not to the degree of where it worries me. I am making another trip today and will report anything.

I couldn’t afford the Raptor tax on the Gen 1 so I can’t compare but one thing I found that seems to have the Gen2’s number - man hole covers sunk into the pavement a few inches. I’ve got a stretch of US1 to get to the interstate northbound that is littered with these manhole covers with a 45 mph limit. I was surprised at how unsettled it feels traversing them as she handles pretty much everything else with ease. Oh well, she’s not perfect.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Watch the video on SVC site and it explains everything the OP is concerned about. Plain and simple the GEN2 is a bouncing buggy. Gets more air on the 2nd bounce than the 1st jump and the ass end is all over the place.

https://www.svcoffroad.com/

Scroll down and Click play on the 2017 raptor CAS system. The video is with the CAS installed or in GEN1 standards comparable to mid perch.

On another note, the original SVT engineering team that developed the GEN1 raptor were not involved with the GEN2. Personal friends for many years. So the guys that eat, sleep and live desert racing were replaced by the book worm engineers with NO desert experience then re-branded FORD Performance.

Ford knew a majority of GEN1 owners never even hit the dirt. So the developed GEN2. Story over. Better truck everywhere BUT the DIRT. That and the fuel standards the gov is implementing is ******** the performance world

This is 100% BS.

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn’t afford the Raptor tax on the Gen 1 so I can’t compare but one thing I found that seems to have the Gen2’s number - man hole covers sunk into the pavement a few inches. I’ve got a stretch of US1 to get to the interstate northbound that is littered with these manhole covers with a 45 mph limit. I was surprised at how unsettled it feels traversing them as she handles pretty much everything else with ease. Oh well, she’s not perfect.

Yeah not perfect but def not uncomfortable. I made my trip yesterday, From JAX to Destin, nothing really crazy it was a comfortable drive. I don't recall any back end slips etc. note: when I got in I always stop at the pressure washer to get bugs off immediately, a velociraptor pulled into the stall next to me. It looked good, sounded a little raspy, but almost looked lowered? Anyway I'm def happy with the Gen2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone just replaced the rear gen 2 shocks with gen 1? Seems like an easy place to start. Chevy has been staggering their shocks for years to help mitigate wheel hop. Ill admit I didnt read all 13 pages of this thread.

Bill

Why would anyone replace 3" shocks with inferior 2.5" shocks? The G2 is better off-road stock than a G1 with King or Icon replacements.

dude1782

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are a lot of problems with that idea. They are different diameters and lengths. The problem is not in the shocks anyway. The cause is the springs and less weight over the rear. If the staggered shocks is a problem replacing the mounting locations would be a better idea than replacing shocks with worse ones.

I am running 2 spare 37s with beadlocks in the rear and I think the extra weight helped a little with wheel hop and the springs will be a huge improvement.

Sent from my 2017 Raptor using Tapatalk

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Watch the video on SVC site and it explains everything the OP is concerned about. Plain and simple the GEN2 is a bouncing buggy. Gets more air on the 2nd bounce than the 1st jump and the ass end is all over the place.

Scroll down and Click play on the 2017 raptor CAS system. The video is with the CAS installed or in GEN1 standards comparable to mid perch.

On another note, the original SVT engineering team that developed the GEN1 raptor were not involved with the GEN2. Personal friends for many years. So the guys that eat, sleep and live desert racing were replaced by the book worm engineers with NO desert experience then re-branded FORD Performance.
Ford knew a majority of GEN1 owners never even hit the dirt. So the developed GEN2. Story over. Better truck everywhere BUT the DIRT. That and the fuel standards the gov is implementing is ******** the performance world
Amazing storytelling there. Tell us another ******** story please.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So let's be realistic for a moment, even if the Gen2 isn't better in dirt it's better everywhere else. I've come to conclusion most people street or lightly off road their raptors. I daily drive mine, so I like the comfort. If I was a desert fox I'm sure I'd be a little miffed and I get that. I def get what they are saying but IMO if that is what is selling, "street raptors" why wouldn't they shape the truck that way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The best part of his story is the "air" part. Whereas if a gen1 caught that kind of air you can rest assured that the frame would be bent with the "frame bend feature". Remember that story?