2014 f150 lariat raptor conversion help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hobdog

Reaction score
Ok gentlemen, I could use some clarity on a raptor conversion. I have found a lot of very helpful info on here so far but I haven’t ran into my specific combo of year and plan. I just got a great deal on a 2014 f150 super crew lariat , which is not the raptor that I wanted but I couldn’t pass up the deal. I am planning on doing the raptor suspension conversion. My first question is about the control arms. I have read that my year vehicle needs gen1 arms, but my plan is to run gen2 shocks and coil overs with KHC coil buckets. Do the gen1 uca have the clearance for the larger coil over of the gen 2? With that said is there even a design difference between the gen1 and gen2 lca and uca?

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The difference isn’t so much in engineering it’s the geometry and mounting points. Gen 2 coilovers will “fit” but are longer, which needs to be accounted for and don’t fit the stock coil bucket. The Gen 1 upper and lower arms bolt right on and fit the 3.0.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok gentlemen, I could use some clarity on a raptor conversion. I have found a lot of very helpful info on here so far but I haven’t ran into my specific combo of year and plan. I just got a great deal on a 2014 f150 super crew lariat , which is not the raptor that I wanted but I couldn’t pass up the deal. I am planning on doing the raptor suspension conversion. My first question is about the control arms. I have read that my year vehicle needs gen1 arms, but my plan is to run gen2 shocks and coil overs with KHC coil buckets. Do the gen1 uca have the clearance for the larger coil over of the gen 2? With that said is there even a design difference between the gen1 and gen2 lca and uca?
Good question! I haven’t seen a comparison Gen1 to Gen2, would be interesting to see the actual difference. KHC might know? They look identical but I don’t know for sure, it does look like the Gen2 beefed up the spindles (aluminum?). Looking at this thread, looks like spring clears UCA fine...

OP
OP
H

Hobdog

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys. I would like to know if there are actually differences of gen1 and gen2. I’m not even sure if they different part numbers at this point, but I’m sure someone does. If gen 2 are beefed up with all the same mounting points and geometry then that would be a no brainer.

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys. I would like to know if there are actually differences of gen1 and gen2. I’m not even sure if they different part numbers at this point, but I’m sure someone does. If gen 2 are beefed up with all the same mounting points and geometry then that would be a no brainer.
I would say just get used aftermarket parts...they’ll be way stronger than any stock parts anyway. I got my camburg upper arms in near perfect condition for $150

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Upper and lower control arms, stock or aftermarket.

Shocks: I still don't fully understand the obsession with the gen2 on KHC buckets, you will spend more to do the KHC conversion and gen 2 shocks than you would for gen 1 shocks, and if your going to do that amount of work you would be better served to go custom. Your into the cost of a set of glass fenders because you have increased the compression travel, this is going to be even worse without the raptor fenders to start with. By the time you figure in the cost of having the buckets installed, whatever paint work needs done, springs etc you are going to be close to the cost of 3.0 coilivers. Once you have the gen 1 shocks you have bodies for rebuilds, and whatever future savings there might be on gambling with used shocks is gone.

And all that work is to get shocks and springs with rates and valving designed for a much lighter truck that has a disproportionately lighter front end.

The KHC buckets would be great if you were looking to do an all out build and needed to get longer shocks under the front.

Front springs: Stock, Geiser, Eibach, coilovers from Icon, Fox, King, Sway-away, read up on them, they all have pros/cons.

Rear springs: Stock, Icon, Deaver, Alcan or other custom shop. Many large leaf spring builders across the US.

Wheels/tires: Stock tires are going to look awfully small on a raptor suspension. Look for 17' wheels to optimize ride quality on road and sidewall flex off road. 34.5"-37" load range c or d tires depending on the rest of the build.

Gears: depends ultimately on tire size.

Here is a recent thread where someone has done what your looking to do https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/what-makes-a-raptor.82374/#post-1606277

Last edited:

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Axles on the Raptors are 7 inches wider than regular f150s. So good luck with that

Primez

Reaction score

Hey brother. I have done this conversion on a 2012 FX4 and can answer probably all the questions you have. While the project is still very much a work in progress, the truck has received full Raptor suspension at this point. I probably have 20K+ miles on the conversion.

I am running Gen 1 hardware for everything except shocks.

you can fit the shock top hat and springs of a Gen 1 onto the Gen 2 shock body. Otherwise, you definitely will have issues. The Gen 2 springs are wider in diameter also which necessitates the swap.

the Gen 2 shocks also have a longer shock body so there is one caveat of the swap which is that your coils are at full lock right around the same angle that CV axles would bind. I know of some people who have upgraded to RCV axles to get some extra strength but if you don’t plan on jumping your truck in 4WD and expect your wheels to be on the ground for 99% of its life like most other raptors then it probably won’t be an issue.
I ran Gen 2 shocks for 2 reasons: proof of concept and I picked up all 4 shocks for $700 new. Gen 2 shocks have gone up in price and you probably would be better off getting some Gen 1 3.0 shocks up front to avoid geometry and binding issues, especially if you don’t plan on doing any other upgrades. The longer shock body of the Gen 2 lifts front ride height a bit but is very similar to a Gen 1 shock in top perch. (Maybe a bit higher)