GEN 1 2014 4wd Hi clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GH0ST

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am having an issue with my 2014 SCREW Raptor. I have a clunk when I have it in 4HI. It clunks every 15-30 seconds while driving straight down a dry road at normal cruise speeds. It feels like it is under my feet. I think I tore something up while doing donuts in the snow in 4Hi. Maybe I tore up the front cvs?

It doesn’t do it in 2Hi.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? The front prop shaft and Iwe’s/cvs appear to look okay visually. But haven’t taken them apart.

70k miles on the truck.

Thanks!

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am having an issue with my 2014 SCREW Raptor. I have a clunk when I have it in 4HI. It clunks every 15-30 seconds while driving straight down a dry road at normal cruise speeds. It feels like it is under my feet. I think I tore something up while doing donuts in the snow in 4Hi. Maybe I tore up the front cvs?

It doesn’t do it in 2Hi.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? The front prop shaft and Iwe’s/cvs appear to look okay visually. But haven’t taken them apart.

70k miles on the truck.

Thanks!

You may be inducing driveline wind up by using 4WD on dry pavement. Since the front and rear axles are mechanically locked in 4WD, any variance in tire size between the front and rear will result in driveline binding. Measure the tire circumference (not diameter) of all 4 tires; if there is a variance of 1” or greater, that is most likely your root cause.

OP
OP
GH0ST

GH0ST

Reaction score
You may be inducing driveline wind up by using 4WD on dry pavement. Since the front and rear axles are mechanically locked in 4WD, any variance in tire size between the front and rear will result in driveline binding. Measure the tire circumference (not diameter) of all 4 tires; if there is a variance of 1” or greater, that is most likely your root cause.

The tires have less than 5k miles, KO2s stock size. I have driven it last year in 4wd high to work when there was icy/snowy roads with no clunk (they had approx 30k miles and were getting noisey). But maybe I have worn the rear tires flooring it off of red lights... Going to rotate them at 6k miles. Whats the best way to measure them?

Also my friend said he heard “clicking” while I was doing donuts. (He was filming outside the vehicle for social media bragging rights haha) I cant remember if I had it in 4hi or 4lo, and if I had the rear dif locked or not.

Also the clunking was a lot more frequent when my front end was literally packed with ice and snow haha.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You won’t get driveline wind up if the roads are snowy/icy since the tires are able to slip. When you’re on hard pavement, the driveline can start to bind if there is any difference in speed between front and rear.

The best way to measure the tires is with a tailor’s tape. Alternatively, you could use a string and then measure the string with a tape measure.

OP
OP
GH0ST

GH0ST

Reaction score
You won’t get driveline wind up if the roads are snowy/icy since the tires are able to slip. When you’re on hard pavement, the driveline can start to bind if there is any difference in speed between front and rear.

The best way to measure the tires is with a tailor’s tape. Alternatively, you could use a string and then measure the string with a tape measure.

Would a horizontal measurement be the most accurate?

Also I edited the last post with some more info.

Sounds like everything is fine, and to just use 4hi if I get it stuck.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Would a horizontal measurement be the most accurate?

Also I edited the last post with some more info.

Sounds like everything is fine, and to just use 4hi if I get it stuck.

You would need to measure circumference, which means wrapping the tape measure around to outside of each tire:

upload_2021-4-18_10-5-46.jpeg

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It doesn’t do it in 2Hi.

70k miles on the truck.

Thanks!
donuts in 4wd do 2 things. destroys your power steering pump if you arent careful, and destroys your 4wd. the gen 1 isnt a full time 4wd system. my guess is an axle or 4wd actuator.

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score

It doesn’t do it in 2Hi.

70k miles on the truck.

Thanks!

there is a small retainer clip inside the front axles that can have a tendancy to dislodge and bend out of shape. which causes the ball bearings to unseat. this could be the popping sounds you are hearing is the bearing skipping its seat under load.

you have to pull the diff side axle boot back to check for this. i have a thread on this ill see if i can find it

\EDIT: here is the link

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/solved-inner-cv-axle-assembly.76264/