2013 whipple blue flame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supra

Reaction score
Hi everyone! After almost buying multiple raptors over the last 5 years I finally got one! I have had it since thanksgiving and spend most of my free time on the forum searching and looking at all sorts of things. My short time of ownership has been very frustrating but it’s still worth it. I have spent more hours working on it than I have driving, but I’ve learned so much about the truck during the process. when I bought the truck knowing it wasn’t running right but had high hopes that a quick tune would have me up and running with no issues. Hasn’t quite worked out that way. I’ve done spark plugs (old ones were very worn) ac compressor, tune (that didn’t fix my issues) and I need another tune from someone that actually cares about the truck. Replaced the thermostat with factory since someone had a 160 in there. Rad cap leaked, easy fix. The pulley broke off the alternator so I got to take the whipple off to change that. And now I’m waiting on a new serpentine belt because mine just snapped two days ago. Doing tons of research about Superchargers to understand why a new looking belt would snap. Also found a blown shock when I had it up on the lift so my wrenching on this truck is far from over. Anyhow I’m excited to learn more about raptors and enjoy mine!
Not sure how to post pictures, I planned to post at least one pic but I’m not the best with computer stuff

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It should have a 160 in it. That's what whipple sends out with their kits.

Do you have a dyno tuner available in your area? There are a few people on this forum using mail order tunes that might be able to help but a tune built for your truck in person should give you the best results.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
160 is ok for the summer but I switch to 170 or 180 depending how bad the winter is.
I'm also running a Whipple Tune that will activate the OEM radiator fans starting at 175

195 is ok if the tune accounts for it.
Just fyi, the cooler the engine the more the PCM will increase fuel and air which will give you more power
and a bit less mpg like 0.2 less

Last edited:

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know this is an age old debate, but I always like to keep factory thermostat. Lean is mean
Lean is not mean, its dangerous: that's not a debatable subject it's fact. Air fuel ratio does not come from the thermostat, it comes from the PCM tuning based on coolant temperatures. You should learn about how the modern tuning systems work and view the file before you interject with nonsense that can hurt someone else's vehicle. Whipple doesn't send you a $40 thermostat to help their bottom line or because it's an unnecessary optional item, they do it because that is what the truck will run best on and what is safe with their tune. The tunes are set up to be efficient at the thermostat set temp, there is minimal efficiency gain from running a temp the truck isn't setup for. The stock ECM config will start pulling timing at 200° to protect the engine which is bad for power, bad for economy. The whipple tune starts pulling timing at 180°

The Whipple tunes are set up for the included thermostat, running one of a higher temperature without a retune can damage the truck.

The reason OEMs run high temp thermostats is to increase fuel efficiency and reduce emissions (small percentage gains), it's a compromise on performance and engine longevity.

OP
OP
Supra

Supra

Reaction score
Lean is mean.... a tuners term. What I’m saying is dumping fuel doesn’t mean making more power. Every vehicle is different on where it makes best and most efficient power. A lean air fuel mixture will create too much heat so don’t confuse what I’m saying. So yes, it’s a very debatable topic. Your not making more power just because you dump more fuel. If that was the case why Not tune your afr in the 10s

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Whipple's Tune is designed to run 160 thermostat, you can bump it up to 170 or 180 without losing power gains.
Whipple have the radiator fans start to run on 175
Using the stock 195 is going to make the radiator fans run more often and at higher speeds with the Whipple tune.
Some Tuners don't do these adjustments, makes it easier for them I guess.

The PCM will not just dump fuel, it's fuel and air and timing while keeping AFR at a safe 14.0 and 12.5 to 12.7 at full pull or WOT

Here's a short video using the Android Torque Pro App on my phone

Last edited:
OP
OP
Supra

Supra

Reaction score
I’m not on here to argue, Your correct. You can put a cooler thermostat in and tune for it. No worries, but myself and my tuner for my cars don’t use cooler temp thermostats. Some people put them in for the wrong reasons. To each his own