2013 SVT Raptor shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lorrie

Reaction score
Hey all,
I found this page while researching possible issues with my 2013 SVT Raptor. I got it back in 2019, and has been smooth sailing up until this past year and Im starting to regret obtaining my “dream truck”.

For the past few weeks/months all I’ve heard from others is if you can own a Raptor, you can afford to fix it, and I’ve never been more annoyed. I definitely can’t afford to just take it to a shop and drop an obnoxious amount of money on it. I don’t know who can in this economy right now.

I have researched all possible issues, and still coming up blank. My vehicle did have the recall where they had to recompute the transmission because it would shift hard. I took it to a local ford dealer, they did it, but within a few weeks it returned to the issue of “hard shifting”. It doesn’t always happen but when it does, its irritating as well as embarrassing while on the road.
It usually happens after it’s been driven a lot in a day. It’s like it won’t go up into gears correctly from 4-6 or 1-3. I sometimes have to switch to manual and force it to shift because if I don’t, it’ll hold up traffic. I don’t let it redline, but it does go up in RPM and I’m doing about 30 in a 55, and it just won’t go up in gear.
We change the oil regularly. The transmission fluid seemed okay when we checked it last. And I’m wondering aside from replacing or rebuilding the transmission, if there could be something I’m missing?
I can not afford to take it in to have it done, and my father agreed to help me overhaul it since he’s a mechanic. But I’m hoping there’s just something I don’t know about these models that could be causing the issue instead?
Has anyone experienced this?

About truck: 2013 SVT Raptor 6.2L /126500miles

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would look into the transmission itself. doubt its a lead frame since its usually associated with a downshifting issue.

couple things to check.

wiring harness on drivers side frame by the front door. it hangs below the frame and can get damaged. anywhere from weird shifting issues to not starting at all.

check air filter/maf. my air filter was so dirty at one point, my truck wouldnt shift up and would stay at 3k rpm.

get forscan. its a lifesaving tool and well worth the $50 invested. forscan software is free, need the correct obd2 interface. wi give you very detailed info without spending several thousand on a fancy snap on scanner........ ask me how i know.

start there, especially with forscan and see where you stand after that. hopefully theres an easy fix for you but until we see what forscan says, its all speculation

OP
OP
lorrie

lorrie

Reaction score
i would look into the transmission itself. doubt its a lead frame since its usually associated with a downshifting issue.

couple things to check.

wiring harness on drivers side frame by the front door. it hangs below the frame and can get damaged. anywhere from weird shifting issues to not starting at all.

check air filter/maf. my air filter was so dirty at one point, my truck wouldnt shift up and would stay at 3k rpm.

get forscan. its a lifesaving tool and well worth the $50 invested. forscan software is free, need the correct obd2 interface. wi give you very detailed info without spending several thousand on a fancy snap on scanner........ ask me how i know.

start there, especially with forscan and see where you stand after that. hopefully theres an easy fix for you but until we see what forscan says, its all speculation
I will look into ordering a forscan. Id rather spend 50 instead of 4K. I didn’t even think about the air filter or the harness. Great points! Thank you so much!

weimer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would still do the lead frame if it hasn't been done. Any limp mode issues or a wrench symbol on the dash?

OP
OP
lorrie

lorrie

Reaction score
I would still do the lead frame if it hasn't been done. Any limp mode issues or a wrench symbol on the dash?
No lights on the dash. It’s usually random when it even does it. Most days it’s fine, then out of no where it starts to shift like that. But it doesn’t give a light when it shifts either. I just have to throw it in manual and hope I can force shift it. That doesn’t always work either.

Last edited:

weimer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No lights on the dash. It’s usually random when it even does it. Most days it’s fine, then out of no where it starts to shift like that. But it doesn’t give a light when it shifts either. I just have to throw it in manual and hope I can force shift it. That doesn’t always work either.
That sucks. I'd start with what car stereo said and go from there. The lead frame can cause a lot of problems. I did mine before they issued a recall in my garage. Wasn't too bad. Should be an easy job for you and your dad especially if he's a mechanic and you've already had the transmission pan off.

Kirkw

Reaction score
What Car Stereo said. Same year, same issue. Lead frame. Also "enjoyed" the transmission issue, but that manifested itself differently.

JamesK

Reaction score
Hey all,
I found this page while researching possible issues with my 2013 SVT Raptor. I got it back in 2019, and has been smooth sailing up until this past year and Im starting to regret obtaining my “dream truck”.

For the past few weeks/months all I’ve heard from others is if you can own a Raptor, you can afford to fix it, and I’ve never been more annoyed. I definitely can’t afford to just take it to a shop and drop an obnoxious amount of money on it. I don’t know who can in this economy right now.

I have researched all possible issues, and still coming up blank. My vehicle did have the recall where they had to recompute the transmission because it would shift hard. I took it to a local ford dealer, they did it, but within a few weeks it returned to the issue of “hard shifting”. It doesn’t always happen but when it does, its irritating as well as embarrassing while on the road.
It usually happens after it’s been driven a lot in a day. It’s like it won’t go up into gears correctly from 4-6 or 1-3. I sometimes have to switch to manual and force it to shift because if I don’t, it’ll hold up traffic. I don’t let it redline, but it does go up in RPM and I’m doing about 30 in a 55, and it just won’t go up in gear.
We change the oil regularly. The transmission fluid seemed okay when we checked it last. And I’m wondering aside from replacing or rebuilding the transmission, if there could be something I’m missing?
I can not afford to take it in to have it done, and my father agreed to help me overhaul it since he’s a mechanic. But I’m hoping there’s just something I don’t know about these models that could be causing the issue instead?
Has anyone experienced this?

About truck: 2013 SVT Raptor 6.2L /126500miles
I had a very similar issue with my 2011 scab. Turned out to be the lead frame and fortunately the recall covered it. Ford house fixed it (took about 2 weeks to get the part) but not a single issue since and I've driven about 5000 miles since then. Good luck

Bluto

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with a Corolla. Changing the trans fluid solved it. Might be worth it to do a drain and fill to see if that helps.