2013 OEM Front Camera Replacement Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kkitowski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Friends,

I have a 2013 Screw with OEM front / rear camera. I also have the Nav-TV VIM installed for easy access to front / rear camera, etc.

I took a stone directly into the lense of the front camera. I purchased the exact part number from a seller on eBay (yeah, I know). Looks perfect, labeled the same as mine, similar serial numbers, same year of part manufacturing.

When I install the new camera, and activate the Reverse gear, the front camera turns on. Outside of reverse, I can activate the Front camera with the built in Ford options, or the Nav-TV VIM options, and that works fine. It is just the reverse that incorrectly activates the Front camera. When I put the old camera back in, all works fine (with exception I can't see front camera content thru the shattered camera lense).

Thoughts on what I should look at?? Ford reprogram; NavTV; bad / incorrect camera??

Thanks

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try removing the system while installing the new camera. check all the functions and then reinstall it

I was wondering if the re-install worked...

I had something similar to what you described, and it was simply a matter of pressing the rear defrost 2 times quickly. Then the camera view reversed.

I have the same setup and the front camera stopped working, even with the Ford options. I've re-seating a couple of connectors, but no change. Someone mentioned a transfer case problem could cause this. I tried a few switches to 4WD Low, etc, and the reverse camera appeared fuzzy for a minute or two. Then it cleared up. So I don't know.

I'm leaning toward a problem with the NAV-TV unit or connectors, but I'd hate to remove/reinstall it as it took me a lot of time to install it the first time. Have any of the NAV-TV units failed?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the camera may also need to be programmed to the vehicle. not sure of that, but from what i heard, a new camera would require a new bcm flash

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My camera problem just got worse...

While investigating my front camera connections, I noticed a fine spray of radiator fluid on the top hose, i.e. radiator leak. Figuring this was the cause of the front camera malfunction, I took it to the Ford Dealer. (It's still under extended warranty).

The radiator, hoses, and the front camera were replaced. Note: I left the NAV-TV unit installed figuring a simple camera swap would fix the problem.

Well, the front camera is working again, but only when I place the truck in REVERSE. D'Oh!!! The NAV-TV can also activate the front camera by double clicking on the R-Defrost, but no reverse. I disconnected the battery to reset the camera, but no luck.

Unless someone has another suggestion, I will probably uninstall the NAV-TV. I wish there was an easy way to do this.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i ran into this problem once.it was due to incorrect pin location. since yours has worked for this long and now is having issues, i am wondering if the extra wires are insulated and not touching and if someone messed with the unit itself

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i ran into this problem once.it was due to incorrect pin location. since yours has worked for this long and now is having issues, i am wondering if the extra wires are insulated and not touching and if someone messed with the unit itself

Thanks for the quick reply...
After thinking about your response on the pins, I thought I'd try to remove the front camera connector. The reverse functionality worked again, both from shifting and the NAV-TV. I'll do some more diagnostics tomorrow, but at least I know both cameras work.

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried changing the Settings in the settings menu when
the front camera is active? I'm not sure if that is an option but I remember there is a settings menu.