2013 bad engine, best reman option

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny Raptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was asking because the 6.2 is getting increasingly more difficult to source but the 7.3 is new prod and will be around a lot longer. It seems like a good place to start.
No doubt. It was really tough to find one a couple of years ago and I'm sure it hasn't gotten any easier. I looked into the 7.3 briefly, but it just wasn't a viable option at the time. Realized really quick that it wasn't gonna be a simple drop-in type of thing with a few minor tweaks and the Raptor was my DD, so didn't go any further.

Haven't kept up with FRF lately, so was just curious if anybody has actually done it yet.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
www.car-part.com <= Nationwide J/Y search engine

Search for a 6.2L F250 engine and it goes from about $2500 for a high mileage engine (ie I'm going to slap in the cheapest running engine and sell the truck) to $5800 for a brand new 2016 engine with a 3 year warranty. There are dozens of new engines on that site alone.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No doubt. It was really tough to find one a couple of years ago and I'm sure it hasn't gotten any easier. I looked into the 7.3 briefly, but it just wasn't a viable option at the time. Realized really quick that it wasn't gonna be a simple drop-in type of thing with a few minor tweaks and the Raptor was my DD, so didn't go any further.

Haven't kept up with FRF lately, so was just curious if anybody has actually done it yet.
my friend paul did a godzilla swap recently in one of his old customers truck.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Look into it again, seems like it is a fairly easy swap, as far as swaps go. A few shops have been working on it.

Reaction score
Little late to the party here but I could chime in if you want to do a 7.3. If you have some basic fab and wiring skills it’s possible. Gen 1 swaps are a lot easier than gen 2.
The major steps are basically fabricating some motor mounts, and wiring. You can modify the factory 6.2 mounts, or just build from scratch. There’s a handful of sensor differences but otherwise electrically it’s a clean swap, just integrating the Godzilla into the factory pcm harness, so not pats or module comm issues.
Those are the big two parts of the job, smaller challenges are plumbing, vac, driveline, and oil cooler relocation.

If you’re really interested in it, there’s a guy named Broc Ross who did it to a 1st gen ecoboost f150 that was already converted to a 6.2. He’s on the Godzilla Facebook pages, you could read through his posts on what he did.

I’m working on a 7.3 in my gen 2 which is a little more complicated but in essence the same. Got it started last week and it’s mean haha.

Johnny Raptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look into it again, seems like it is a fairly easy swap, as far as swaps go. A few shops have been working on it.
Thanks, I'll do that. Don't expect to have to replace it again (fingers crossed!), but if I was doing it again now, I'd look into it as a serious option based on yours and @WhereAreTheBrakes comments.