2013 bad engine, best reman option

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bottomland4x4

Reaction score
I’m looking at buying a 2013 raptor with a bad engine, it supposedly has 3 weak cylinders. 87k miles . Where is a good place to shop for reman 6.2 or a shop that may rebuild the original. Located in North Carolina. Would be awesome to find a builder in mooresville or charlotte area that has done the 6.2 before. Anyone on here replaced any gen 1 engines?

OP
OP
B

Bottomland4x4

Reaction score
So that’s why they are so hard to find, wasn’t really wanting to rebuild the factory engine because of the downtime, was wanting to swap it out, and might as well swap it with a new reman than a used engine. Maybe i should pass.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So that’s why they are so hard to find, wasn’t really wanting to rebuild the factory engine because of the downtime, was wanting to swap it out, and might as well swap it with a new reman than a used engine. Maybe i should pass.
Ford ran out of 6.2 service engines a couple years ago, they’re no longer available. Regardless of down time, there’s no guarantee the original engine will be rebuildable, at which point it’s a giant paperweight.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i replaced my engine with a used one. took me about 5 months to find one and get it shipped to me. ford no longer makes the 6.2 raptor longblock, so if your block is ok, rebuild it. i saved my old block so one day i can rebuild it and have a spare.

@MurderedOutSVT just replaced his window edition block.
Yeah the kaboom and pyrotechnic show was really neat.

Like Grumpy Stereo Guy said, no Ford blocks nowhere.

The shop I took mine to had some connections and I got a complete motor out of an insurance totaled Rap. 80K on it.

Yours sounds rebuildable. @PD1744 has been rebuilding a 6.2 for a while and he's somewhere in the Carolinas

6.2 Window Edition:
20220401_125155.jpg

hingedthinker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, while we are on the topic... I learned from my class A RV that Ford V10's are in short supply. Takes two or more to rebuild one.

so, why not swap to a coyote 5.0 and SC it? Has anyone done this? If my 3.5EB goes, I'm not swapping another v6 in. Jegs sells some nice EB crate motors. Did you look there?

then this: https://hyperfastcars.com/v8-swap/

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My engine rebuild has actually been completed for a year new. It's just been sitting on the stand at my dads shop. Plenty of engine shops in that area as this is NASCAR country. I used Poteat's in Kannapolis. I'd use them again or Kannapolis Engine Services (who's also one of the Poteat boys).

If you want to buy mine, shoot me a DM. I've considered selling it as I took a job in Cali and the Raptor is out here with me, but the engine is still back east, so I'm not really sure what to do with it.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The shortblocks are the same among all 6.2L engines.

Cams are the only difference in the Raptor version.

There are literally tens of thousands of good 6.2L short blocks in the junkyards. Put your heads on it and it's a "Raptor engine".

Unless you plan to S/C it, I'd swap a JY shortblock in there way before I'd spend 2-3 times that on a rebuild.

Swapping in any other engine is insane and a total waste of money.

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My engine rebuild has actually been completed for a year new. It's just been sitting on the stand at my dads shop. Plenty of engine shops in that area as this is NASCAR country. I used Poteat's in Kannapolis. I'd use them again or Kannapolis Engine Services (who's also one of the Poteat boys).

If you want to buy mine, shoot me a DM. I've considered selling it as I took a job in Cali and the Raptor is out here with me, but the engine is still back east, so I'm not really sure what to do with it.
When you had your 6.2 rebuilt, did they upgrade any weaknesses, and if so, what are the problem areas? Like yours threw a rod, right? What mods made that fail? Were you supercharged?