2013-2014 Raptors Sync 2 -> Sync 3 Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Riddick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went ahead and ordered the one from Infotainment.com today and just got a notification from fedex that it’ll be delivered tomorrow. Too bad I’ll be out of state! They took my vin and swore the front camera will work, but I’m not very hopeful since 4dTech said there is no way to make it work. Also, they gave me the Black Friday discount and it brought the price down to $1350.00 for the one with no nav. They also said they would buy my old unit for $150, but I’ll probably keep it. Will probably install Sunday and give an update after.

Please do. I’ve been looking at these, but my OCD wants everything to work.

roboman

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2014 Ford Raptor (I previously owned an 11). It came with Sync 3 v 2.0; the usb had not been switched out yet, but the front camera worked in this version. I updated to 2.3 and then to 3.0; no more front camera. So I know that Sync 3 v2.0 does work with the front camera. I'm not sure if it works with v2.2/2.3. My question is, if it worked in v2.0, then that tells me the hardware is compatible and the software is the culprit in v3.0. Has anyone had any luck with the gen 1 front camera with sync 3 v3.0?

RC51TOFUMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy smoke batman another twist
Please keep updated.
Very interesting
I recently bought a 2014 Ford Raptor (I previously owned an 11). It came with Sync 3 v 2.0; the usb had not been switched out yet, but the front camera worked in this version. I updated to 2.3 and then to 3.0; no more front camera. So I know that Sync 3 v2.0 does work with the front camera. I'm not sure if it works with v2.2/2.3. My question is, if it worked in v2.0, then that tells me the hardware is compatible and the software is the culprit in v3.0. Has anyone had any luck with the gen 1 front camera with sync 3 v3.0?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

okieff218

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the sync 3 installed today and I can verify that my front camera does not work with it, but it is such an upgrade from the MyFord Touch that I don’t even care. The way I look at it is this, I use my infotainment system every single day. I haven’t used the front camera once in four years, so am I really going to miss it? Doubtful. If I had known it was this much better, I probably would have traded my truck in when it first came out.

Aside from the front camera everything works flawlessly. Even has the new raptor splash screen. CarPlay is amazing. I use Waze for navigation, but you have the option to use Apple maps or google maps, too. Not sure why anyone would opt to pay an extra $600 for the nav. It also recognizes my voice a million times better than sync 2. I never had to repeat myself or pick up my phone to delete and retype half a message before I sent it like I did 99% of the time before. AppLink is a little weird. You have to disable CarPlay to use it. That took me a while to figure out.

Installation was a breeze using the video from infotainment.com. I did have one very minor hang up. I had some trouble lining up the holes for the bolts that hold the airbag cover on when putting everything back together. Still not sure what that was about. Also the bolts were 10mm, not 8mm as the video says. I’d rate installation difficulty a 2 out of 10. It took me about an hour, but I tend to take my time.

Some have said they had to take out the upfitter switches and also slide the console back, but I didn’t. If you just pull the trim pieces back at the top on each side, you can get to the screws for the bezel pretty easily.

Once again, I’m pretty OCD about everything working, but for me this system is so much better and the front camera was of such little value that I can deal with it. If anyone has any questions let me know. I played around with it all day and didn’t have any hiccups at all.

Total cost: $1350 from infotainment.com.

Link to installation video I used.

Riddick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the update. Can’t argue with the upgrade even if the front camera doesn’t work. Camera Source has a solution. May look into that and put it at the top of my list after Christmas.

RC51TOFUMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Riddick
What's camera Source solution for the front camera?
Thank you for the update. Can’t argue with the upgrade even if the front camera doesn’t work. Camera Source has a solution. May look into that and put it at the top of my list after Christmas.

Riddick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Riddick
What's camera Source solution for the front camera?

Weren’t you the one that posted this?
https://camera-source.com/ford-raptor-front-camera-kit.html

https://camera-source.com/sync-3-multi-camera-interface-for-8-ford-factory-display-radios-9297.html

I have not called them to verify whether or not it’s going to work, but can’t see why it wouldn’t. Only down side with this and the Sync 3 upgrade you’ll be back up to the $2k price. I don’t plan on trading my truck in for a very long time so I’ll use the investment. I’ll do my calling after Christmas and post an update. Maybe they have some kind of money back guarantee if it doesn’t work.

RC51TOFUMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weren’t you the one that posted this?
https://camera-source.com/ford-raptor-front-camera-kit.html

https://camera-source.com/sync-3-multi-camera-interface-for-8-ford-factory-display-radios-9297.html

I have not called them to verify whether or not it’s going to work, but can’t see why it wouldn’t. Only down side with this and the Sync 3 upgrade you’ll be back up to the $2k price. I don’t plan on trading my truck in for a very long time so I’ll use the investment. I’ll do my calling after Christmas and post an update. Maybe they have some kind of money back guarantee if it doesn’t work.
I am in the same boat.
I would like this mod but want full functionality and yes FRONT camera too.

I use the FRONT camera for parking everyday

Please keep me posted and thankyou in advance

Bar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have v2.2. I’ll confirm again that my front camera works. I did notice that I have to put it in reverse first, then in drive to activate it. I have not been able to upgrade to v2.+, however. I’ve tried the WiFi update, and it never works.

That said, I’ve used the front camera twice since I’ve owned the truck. Both times were to test if it worked with my Sync 3 install...