2013-2014 Raptors Sync 2 -> Sync 3 Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So you spent the $2k or whatever it was to update?! Madness lol how is it? I bet a MASSIVE improvement lol

It's a lot quicker to react to commands (except advancing songs from bluetooth is still slow). And it doesn't constantly drop phone calls like my old unit did. So it's definitely an improvement for me. If yours is working fine in its current form I probably wouldn't bother.

colear3

Reaction score
It's a lot quicker to react to commands (except advancing songs from bluetooth is still slow). And it doesn't constantly drop phone calls like my old unit did. So it's definitely an improvement for me. If yours is working fine in its current form I probably wouldn't bother.

I can't stand how slow my system is, but I have never had the newest version before, so I guess I'm used to it, unfortunately. I hate how you can't just get a simple software update. Bugs me that Ford didn't think ahead and put in better hardware to begin with.

Reaction score
Do I need to buy the navigation upgrade if I'm just going to use Apple maps?

I already have factory nav in my Sync 2 but I understand it's not compatible with the new unit.

Also, I seem to remember seeing that my iPhone needs to stay plugged in to access the Apple Carplay features. I can't imagine that's true. Can you confirm?

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do I need to buy the navigation upgrade if I'm just going to use Apple maps?

I wouldn't think so. I bought it just to be safe but I always use Waze.

I already have factory nav in my Sync 2 but I understand it's not compatible with the new unit.

It is not. Nor is the gps antenna.

Also, I seem to remember seeing that my iPhone needs to stay plugged in to access the Apple Carplay features. I can't imagine that's true. Can you confirm?

Call 4Dtech on this one. I'll be honest, I have no idea how to use all the features of the Sync 3. My truck isn't a daily so I don't use it all that much.

I honestly just bought the upgrade for the faster response time and so it would stop dropping calls. My old Sync system used to both cut out while talking on the phone (but stay connected) and completely drop calls. It had become utterly useless.

Bar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would 100% do this for a max of $1,000

If I sell mine, I'll let you know. If you are interested, let me know. I am considering selling my Raptor, and I will install my old unit before I do.

I think it is great. My front camera works just fine.

Regarding Car Play, yes. It has to be plugged in. My other cars are like that too.

RC51TOFUMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I sell mine, I'll let you know. If you are interested, let me know. I am considering selling my Raptor, and I will install my old unit before I do.

I think it is great. My front camera works just fine.

Regarding Car Play, yes. It has to be plugged in. My other cars are like that too.
Bar.....
How did you get your FRONT Camera to work?
I was told the Front Camera doesn't work with the upgrade?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bar.....
How did you get your FRONT Camera to work?
I was told the Front Camera doesn't work with the upgrade?

It definitely works. I tested it again this AM, since I was second-guessing myself. I did the normal routine to engage the front camera. I put it in reverse (rear camera came on), then I put it in drive. Front camera came on. It even has the moving guide lines. I think you need to go into reverse to wake it up.