2013-2014 Raptors Sync 2 -> Sync 3 Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK, except for a few rare exceptions, all 2016+ Fords have Sync 3 in them. :) Once you are in the yard looking for parts- Sync 2 vs Sync 3 is pretty obvious if you have ever seen them in person, so that's not really an issue.

Great info on ID'ing them thru Sync My Ride though- if you can use the VIN and SMR.com to see if it has nav or not while you are in the junkyard, that's is nice.

Can you tell if it has nav or not by the exterior/labeling on the unit itself?

mmorey79

Reaction score
OK, except for a few rare exceptions, all 2016+ Fords have Sync 3 in them. :) Once you are in the yard looking for parts- Sync 2 vs Sync 3 is pretty obvious if you have ever seen them in person, so that's not really an issue.

Great info on ID'ing them thru Sync My Ride though- if you can use the VIN and SMR.com to see if it has nav or not while you are in the junkyard, that's is nice.

Can you tell if it has nav or not by the exterior/labeling on the unit itself?
I left out Fusion/MKZ I think which is another biggie, I typically start my search for 17-19s as they're still pretty easy to find, guaranteed to be 3 regardless of model and pre 2020's are cheaper and don't have issues upgrading to 3.4 via cyanlabs etc. Sync 2 vs 3 isn't that easy to tell apart if the car is assembled and/or has no power unfortunately. As for Nav, you have to pull the as-built and check 7D0-01-02 as I mentioned. If you have the unit out you can look up the part number on the cyanlabs hardware DB typically. Earlier units typically had the letter C in the middle position of the part number suffix as I recall, EG ####-14G370-#C#. I can't remember which is the "assembly" p/n vs the individual APIM itself, I think the 370 number is the assembly and 371 is the APIM but I'm not 100% on that. If you're looking at yard car you can often google the VIN and see auction photos and sometimes they will have a shot of the unit on as well.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to attempt this upgrade later today. I purchased a sync 3 apim and screen from a member of FRF, it's from his 17 Raptor and does not have Nav. It took a hard hit on one side in transit and I need to find out if it survived. I will also be switching out the EATC while the center stack is apart so I can add ambient lighting later.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Accomplished my goals yesterday of testing the sync 3 apim/screen that I received and it checked out to be fine. Not all functions worked but that was to be expected. Some of the buttons on screen worked and some did not but I was able to play with it enough and listen to the radio. Looked at it with FORScan and copied the ASbuilt file for the apim and looked at the settings that can be set or changed in forscan. Then I put the sync 2 MFT system back in for now til I decide what to do about the screen brackets.

While in the center stack I replaced the EATC that is needed for the ambient lighting project that I have going on simaltanious to the sync 3 upgrade. I used forscan to make my first manual change and the MFT apim liked it even though I don't have any of the lights wired in.

IMG_6123.JPG

Beach_Bum

Reaction score
Installed the sync 3 upgrade...what a difference! Got the complete kit with Nav from Carlos on Facebook. Ordered on Saturday received on Thursday from coast to coast. Super easy instal...hardest part was taking off the trim panels and everything works flawlessly, although I haven’t tried the front camera yet. Used the video posted earlier in the thread. No need to remove the shifter, etc. Im super pumped to have Apple CarPlay back because I drive a lot for work.

DE8F7B79-9E6F-42A1-9D91-6E72677CBADF.jpegC9825A4A-7637-4E91-8BCB-930C0665F606.jpeg

jgwoody

Reaction score
Installed the sync 3 upgrade...what a difference! Got the complete kit with Nav from Carlos on Facebook. Ordered on Saturday received on Thursday from coast to coast. Super easy instal...hardest part was taking off the trim panels and everything works flawlessly, although I haven’t tried the front camera yet. Used the video posted earlier in the thread. No need to remove the shifter, etc. Im super pumped to have Apple CarPlay back because I drive a lot for work.

View attachment 347887View attachment 347888
Sweet! Now get you a cplay2air and you’ll have wireless CarPlay!

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone have a program file? I installed a Sync 3.3 non-nav and it's killing my battery.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone have a program file? I installed a Sync 3.3 non-nav and it's killing my battery.
Check the forscan forum. If you have an apim from a 19 or 20 the screen tends to stay powered. There is a fix but I don't recall what it is.

Found this: 7D0-06-01 x0xx xxxx xxxx Change the 0 to 1 2019 APIM Screen Turn Off

Last edited: